Would You Trust This Idea...?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 11 May 2011 , 12:44pm by mlwideman

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 11

So I am open to suggestions, but i have been asked to do a "Sex in the City" themed cake. I was trying to think of neat ways to do the cake stand.... and here is my thought...

Martini glasses to hold up the cake Drum.... The cake is most likely going to be 10" round or square, 8", and a 6" stacked.

So depended on board size, id get enough glasses to arrange underneath.
What do you think? too risky?

If you have any other ideas id be greatful!The customer just specified they wanted a stand for added hight. I only have some traditional stands... that just seem to fit with the theme.

10 replies
chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:54am
post #2 of 11

some kitchen supply or gourmet kitchen gadget stores carry oversized martini glasses. i would maybe turn it upside down to give yourself a wider base to the stand.

CiNoRi Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:04am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

some kitchen supply or gourmet kitchen gadget stores carry oversized martini glasses. i would maybe turn it upside down to give yourself a wider base to the stand.

Yeah that was my first thought. Found a couple today but the base of the glass is too small i fear to be stable enough... thats why i was thinking multiple "regular sized" glasses. icon_sad.gif

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #4 of 11

use an oversize martini glass and epoxy a couple mirror tiles together mirror sides out....the epoxy them to the glass.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:31am
post #5 of 11

I was thinking gluing them also. I think the martini glass is a great idea and you should figure out a way to make it work!

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:41am
post #6 of 11

I seen the big one at walmart

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:41am
post #7 of 11

I seen the big one at walmart

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:51am
post #8 of 11

I think you'd be fine with the regular ones, just have enough outer support and turn a few upside down in the middle, or you could just alternate all of them icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #9 of 11

What a cute idea! I say make it work and then be sure to post the picture! One thing you could do is make your base and then stack several large books on top until you have approximately the weight or height of your cake and see how that feels to you. I think it will look great!

CiNoRi Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:43am
post #10 of 11

Thanks guys Ill keep you posted!!

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 11

I have to make a cake next weekend with champagne flutes (3) 'glued' to mirrored tiles as a separator. I am so nervous about the support underneath. Any ideas? I normally use hollow plastic dowels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%