Hershey's Cake For Stacking?

Decorating By Sangriacupcake Updated 11 May 2011 , 7:26pm by anthropia

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 7

In the past, I have used a doctored mix for chocolate cakes that are stacked, but I'm really trying to switch to all scratch baking. Everyone loves the Hershey's cake I make with sour cream substituted for the milk in the recipe, but will it hold up to stacking? It seems so moist!! I use bubble tea straws for stacking.

TIA for any help or tips you can provide. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 7

I've covered Hershey's cakes in fondant & stacked them. Worked out just fine.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 7

That's usually the only chocolate cake I make and I stack them all the time...with bubble tea straws. I've never had a problem.

Sangriacupcake Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you, ladies! You've put my mind at ease. icon_smile.gif

anthropia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anthropia Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Sangriacupcake, I always use this recipe and I love it as it is, but I'm curious about your subsitution. Do you substitute 1 cup sour cream for 1 cup milk? What difference does it make for the cake?

Sangriacupcake Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropia

Hi Sangriacupcake, I always use this recipe and I love it as it is, but I'm curious about your subsitution. Do you substitute 1 cup sour cream for 1 cup milk? What difference does it make for the cake?

Yes, that's exactly what I do. It firms the cake up just a bit. I was finding that with the 1 c. of water and 1 c. of milk, it was such a delicate cake that it was difficult to move it from pan to cooling rack to cake platter. The flavor is not altered much, just the density.

I also don't mix the boiling water with all the ingredients at the end. Instead, I mix the cocoa powder and boiling water and then let the mixture cool to room temp before adding to the batter, which I think also keeps the cake from being so very soft. I learned that trick from watching Sylvia Weinstock make her chocolate cake.

But even with these two changes, it's still softer than a doctored mix, so I was worried about stacking.

anthropia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anthropia Posted 11 May 2011 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! I'm going to try your method next timeicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%