How Can I Make A Perfect Square Cake?

Decorating By RGWATERSLIDE Updated 9 May 2011 , 3:49pm by Claire138

RGWATERSLIDE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RGWATERSLIDE Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:50am
post #1 of 14

How can i make the perfect square cake. Everytime im try to make a square cake (box shaped) it always come out with smooth rounded corners uuuggghhh help please thanks

13 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:24am
post #2 of 14

It truly helps to have the right pan first. What type of pan are you using? does it have perfect square edges straight up, not curved? Is the weld straight up?

I myself use Magic Line brands. I tossed to Goodwill my pans that I got at the store like Walmart, probably Wilton or Store brand....

icon_smile.gif

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:58am
post #3 of 14

I just bought a square Magic Line pan...What a difference it made! They are cheap, but so worth it! Now if I could just get the BC to make sharp edges and corners.....practice, practice, practice!

But the pan really makes a difference!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:44am
post #4 of 14

definitely start with a good pan! i love my magic line pans icon_biggrin.gif also, be sure to ice your buttercream to have sharp corners (i freeze my buttercream-ed cakes for about 10 minutes before covering in fondant to the edges will stay sharp). also, be sure the fondant is rolled thin, if its thick it won't be sharp. use two fondant smoothers working together to push the fondant into a sharp edge. hope some of my tips help! icon_biggrin.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:05am
post #5 of 14

Can Magic Line pans only be bought on line? or do stores sell them too?

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:13am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

I found mine at a restaurant supply store.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:21am
post #7 of 14

Sur La Tab in Dallas carries Magic Line pans. Also check your cake supply store if you have one.

Claire138 Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:24am
post #8 of 14

Thanks, but I was talking more of a store like Michaels which I can get to when I go to the States (I live in France) but I don't ever make it to Texas so I'll have to keep them on my wish list as shipping is so expensive!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:43am
post #9 of 14

Amazon.com also sells them as well as Sur la Table that sillywabbitz mentioned. Michaels, Joann's, and Hobby Lobby only carry the Wilton brand.

Claire138 Posted 9 May 2011 , 6:29am
post #10 of 14

Just checked on amazon for the size pan I need and it cost $20 for the pan and $40 to ship! Insane!

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 14

Sorry - typo - I meant they are NOT cheap!! I got mine at a cake decorating store in Buena Park, Ca.... I think I paid about $21.00 for a 9x9x2.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

http://cooksdream.com Supply store, shipping isn't too bad but check for overseas.
These guys are Top Notch customer service, too. Fast. Reliable. Easy to work with. I get stuff from them all the time.

(edited to add: they ship worldwide & they have 10% off sales over $59USD NOT BAD!)

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 14

Best way I have found is make a larger cake than you want...cut it frozen into the square you desire...it will have sharp edges...put back into freezer while still frozen after filling. Take back oit and Ice edges while frozen. Everything is kept sharp, precise, and held together. Let come to room temperature and finish then finish it. No need for buying more pans.

Claire138 Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks GI for the info but the cheapest they can ship it for is $33 which I still can't justify. Will have to wait until I travel to the States and get them then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%