Need Help, Wedding Cake Traveling For 3 Hours, Without Me.

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 11 May 2011 , 1:58pm by brightbrats

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:27am
post #1 of 14

Help !!! My niece-in-law has asked me to do her wedding cake. The wedding is 3hours away, so I won't be going, but her mom is wanting to take the cake down with her.

So should I stacked the cake, before she takes it, or should I let her do that ? I've never used seperators, but would it be better to put it on that and let her, stack it then ? Also its a hexagon, and they discontinued the seperators for those pans. I did see where someone on the wilton site said she used round separators on her hexagon. I've never used separators before at all, so any advice you could give me would be awesome.

I tried getting out of this cake, because I am scared of the traveling. If it helps any at all it will be covered in fondant.

I am going to post a picture also, it has some designs on the front, just wondered if you guys could tell me how it needs to be done. I have never done one with anything like this one it.

Please help if you can, and I so greatlly appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks, Lisa

13 replies
brightbrats Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #2 of 14

sorry I added a picture but it dodn't take, I'll try again.I resized it, not that it said it was to big, just thought it might be, but it still won't load, any help on that too ?

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:52am
post #3 of 14

Upload it to another site like photobucket or flickr and then you can post the link to the pic. HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:38am
post #4 of 14

Can you interst the bride in a seperated set up? One where the cakes are each placed on a different heighth stand? Then all MOB needs to do is set them on each stand. This could be a very pretty arrangement and bride could still have basically the same decorations.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #6 of 14

Thanks Kakeladi, I might have to go that route. I posted the picture on my facebook page,hopefully you can see it on there.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.149049370394.152064.149040950394#!/photo.php?fbid=10150245582500395&set=a.149049370394.152064.149040950394&type=1&theater

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:31am
post #7 of 14

That is a beautiful cake! Could you stack it with SPS prior to pick up and then give the MOB clear directions as how to drive with a cake? If most of the drive is interstate without a lot of twists and turns, I think you could seriously think about doing this.

brightbrats Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:45am
post #8 of 14

What exactly is SPS, I'm not familiar with that term ?

cakegirl1973 Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:06am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbrats

What exactly is SPS, I'm not familiar with that term ?

SPS is a support system for cakes. Take a look at thesticky under the Cake Decorating forum. Leah_s did an awesome job of making instructions with pictures. It is very easy to use & is very stable. Also, it is inexpensive. You can order it through either Oasis Supply or Global Sugar Art.

cakegirl1973 Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:13am
post #10 of 14

Also, if you have her transport it already stacked, I wouldn't do more than 3 tiers, even with SPS. I always stack the 4th tier on site. If it is 3 tiers, I always stack it at home. I will be transporting a wedding cake this summer 6 hours, and I am seriously considering stacking it before transport, since it is straight interstate the whole way. SPS is that stable.

brightbrats Posted 8 May 2011 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 14

So does anyone have any idea on how to do the decorations on this cake ? I am doing it in fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2011 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 14

SPS was *created* for bakeries that don't offer delivery so that customers would be able to transport a wedding cake themselves. It was MADE for this!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 8 May 2011 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Can you interst the bride in a seperated set up? One where the cakes are each placed on a different heighth stand? Then all MOB needs to do is set them on each stand. This could be a very pretty arrangement and bride could still have basically the same decorations.

That's an excellent idea. And they really can look lovely when arranged with candles, flowers, etc. icon_smile.gif

brightbrats Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 14

She wants it stacked. Does anyong have any idea on how to do the decorating designs on this, I need it for next weekend, so any help on the design would be awesome.
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%