Waaaah---Help

Decorating By ltlepaw Updated 6 May 2011 , 4:07am by cakegirl1973

ltlepaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltlepaw Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:21am
post #1 of 6

Ok, so this is going to be a dumb question, and looking at my pics you'd never know, but I never do a crumb coat. Ever. I just usually spend HOURS icing and picking out the crumbs w/ a toothpic until I get it right. Anyway I decided to do it this time for a cake for my son on Saturday. It looks like crap! Is it supposed to look like crap? There's more crumbs in it than when I've ever just done a thick layer of main icing! Will it turn out ok, or should I just wake up WAY early and start from scratch tomorrow? BTW, using indydebi's buttercream recipe...hope it works! AM I panicking for no reason?

5 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:19am
post #2 of 6

The crumb coat is like a base coat. Once it crusts or is chilled, according to your preference, then you apply the regular layer of buttercream over it. There are then no crumbs because they were all caught in the crumbcoat. It's supposed to look like crap icon_smile.gif.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #3 of 6

The crumb coat is like a base coat. Once it crusts or is chilled, according to your preference, then you apply the regular layer of buttercream over it. There are then no crumbs because they were all caught in the crumbcoat. It's supposed to look like crap icon_smile.gif.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:21am
post #4 of 6

Just to be clear, after you do the crumb coat, you let that set, and then do a second layer of thick BC over top.. Right? From the way it sounds, you only did the crumb coat?

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #5 of 6

it's ok that there is crumbs, thats what the crumb coat is for. put the cake in the fridge to chill for a bit, then ice it again. the crumbs will be all covered up. i freaked the first time i did it to, i don't usuallu crumb coat my cakes. just do what works best for you but there is no need to start all over. just breathe icon_smile.gif HTH!!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:07am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonte

it's ok that there is crumbs, thats what the crumb coat is for. put the cake in the fridge to chill for a bit, then ice it again. the crumbs will be all covered up. i freaked the first time i did it to, i don't usuallu crumb coat my cakes. just do what works best for you but there is no need to start all over. just breathe icon_smile.gif HTH!!

Ditto.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%