How Do You Make Red Velvet Cake Taste Good?

Baking By DeniseNH Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 4:53am by bakingkat

macie2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macie2011 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:08pm
post #31 of 52

You're welcome. It has an icing recipe with it, but I don't like it. I just use a cream cheese icing.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:37pm
post #32 of 52

Most definitely a southern girl and RV is a favorite of mine but only the recipe my mother makes and only when she makes it. I can't get it to come out exactly like she does but she uses an oil recipe that calls for 2 bottles of red food color (yeah two). What makes hers so different is the texture. It isn't a stiff cake but rather a dark red, moist, velvety, crumby creation that really just kind of melts in your mouth. She stacks three inch and a half high layers with a sour cream/cream cheese icing and lots of PEE-CANs (maybe that's what makes it so southern). It really isn't a cake that would allow for perfect roundness or sharp clean edges like a decorated cake but it freezes beautifully.

sappy42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sappy42 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:56pm
post #33 of 52

I use Chef Stef's recipe, with cake flour instead of AP (which makes all the difference in the world to me... no corn meal smell and taste) and cider vinegar in place of regular.

My family and anyone else who I've made this for LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe! It took me a while to find the RV recipe I really liked. I will say that I prefer the cooked frosting with it though. Like a PP said, cream cheese just seems to mask the flavor, while the cooked frosting lets the cake be the star.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 8:13pm
post #34 of 52

The best way to describe a real red velvet cake to me is it's like a butter cake with a slight tang (from the vinegar). Not enough to really notice, but enough to set it apart from plain butter cake. It's really not supposed to have a chocolate flavor to it, just enough to hint at it. To me the appeal of red velvet is the cream cheese frosting along with the bright red color and the indistinguishable flavor of the cake. If done correctly, it's amazing. I have a recipe that is very old and calls for vinegar and buttermilk and a couple of tsp's of cocoa powder. I love it!

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:17pm
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarandSpice3674

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed what Florian said! I was like what?, i thought red velvet was a buttermilk cake with a hint of cocoa?! oh well , i use the cakeman raven recipe as well but with dark dutch process cocoa and it it my best seller, I always sell out when I do the markets, personally red velvet isnt my favorite, but you know what they say,
if something isnt broken , dont fix it !
lol

Just wondering if you make any adjustment to the recipe for the dutch processed cocoa since it is alkalized or, do you just do a straight up swap?

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:07am
post #36 of 52

Hi SweetSuzieQ
I actually just swap the regular cocoa for the dutch dark cocoa, my cake comes out a ruby red not bright red, and I have been told its amazing, I sell out every weekend and get orders from ppl just to make sure its there. I never gave any thought to the fact that the dutch process cocoa is alkalized, would that change a recipe?

SweetSuzieQ Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:28am
post #37 of 52

From what I have read, without adjusting the baking soda (which I believe is in dutch processed) the cake can sink but, clearly you haven't had that problem!! LOL

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:40am
post #38 of 52

Oh, I actually didnt know that! My cupcakes dome really nicely and I havent had any problems with sinking, I buy the Costco brand of dark dutch cocoa if that make any difference? I like to experiment so I just happened to try the dark cocoa by chance and we all loved it icon_smile.gif

SweetSuzieQ Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:03am
post #39 of 52

You probably did the right thing...LOL...I made a Red Velvet cupcake recipe today and used the dutch and omitted the baking soda and, they sort of domed up at the bottom of the cupcake (very weird like reverse sinking).

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:35am
post #40 of 52

I was watching fabulous cakes the other day and someone one the show mentioned using beet juice to give the rv cake the red color instead of food coloring. During the cake tasting the customer said it was delicious.

Do any of you use beet juice? Can you share your recipe? It sounds interesting.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:06am
post #41 of 52

I always use CakeMan Raven's recipe with great results. Paula Deen uses his recipe for cupcakes. I make them more. I think the cream cheese Icing makes the cake taste good.

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:03am
post #42 of 52

I understand that most of you are using cakeman Raven's recipe. wold you please give me the link to the recipe. I am unable to find one that pleases my brides.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:23pm
post #44 of 52

This is the one I use:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

I've used Cake Man Raven's but I like Bobby Flay's better.

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:06am
post #45 of 52

Cakeman's recipe uses 1c. buttermilk. I already have heavy whipping cream. Could I use 1 c. of heavy whipping cream instead of the buttermilk?

This may be a stupid question, but I've never made red velvet cake before. How would this affect the cake?

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:23am
post #46 of 52

I wouldn't try the red velvet cake with Heavy cream. It might change the texture of the cake.

I made red velvet cupcakes and my buttermilk was too old, It had seperated maybe if I had shook it up it might have worked ,but anyway my cupcakes didn't rise. So I make sure my buttermilk is fresh and I shake it up first. Now you can make buttermilk with whole milk by adding one tablepoon of vinegar or Lemon juice to one cup.

AmyKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKakes Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:40am
post #47 of 52

I once heard a story of the beginnings of the Red Velvet cake had something to do with a chocolate shortage? Anyhow, supposedly bakers began using beet juice to darken the chocolate cake when they were forced to ration the chocolate. So I guess if that story is true, it was originally intended to be a diluted chocolate cake...

sorry for being off topic but thought it fit somewhere! icon_smile.gif

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:19am
post #48 of 52

One more question about Cakeman's recipe:

It indicates that all three round cakes should bake at the same time, but I only have one pan.

If the remaining batter is sitting while one pan bakes at a time, will this somehow affect the batter/cake?

Thanks for the help.

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #49 of 52

It indicates that all three round cakes should bake at the same time, but I only have one pan.

If the remaining batter is sitting while one pan bakes at a time, will this somehow affect the batter/cake?

Thanks for the help.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 3:38am
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousBeginner

Thanks for the help.

I think it does, it probably doesn't have a huge effect on it but I've seen differences when I waited to bake the batter. The taste is still the same but it doesn't rise as much as it would have. This has just been my own experience might be different for others.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:04am
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousBeginner

Thanks for the help.

Hopefully we are talking about the same version -- the version I am familiar with uses baking soda as its leavening agent. Baking soda reacts with acidic ingredients--the vinegar and the buttermilk will both start to react with the baking soda. Generally goods with baking soda need to be baked immediately as the reaction starts once it comes into contact with the acidic ingredients.

You will likely find that the longer the batter sits the less it will rise--there may not be much left by the time you get the third cake in the oven. Less rise will impact the texture of the cake--it will be more dense.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 4:53am
post #52 of 52

Red velvet originally came around before everything was processed. When it was in it's natural state there was a chemical reaction between the cocoa powder and the acid in the batter that in turn made it red. Everything we do now is because of all the processing that our ingredients go through these days.

Anyways, I used to be on the same page as most of you about red velvet being over-rated and nothing special, then on a hunt for a good recipe I compared a whole bunch to see any variations. I tried one that stuck out to me, it had much more cocoa than the rest. It's in Confetti Cakes Book and I absolutely loved it! Usually I taste, then say ok and stop. But this one... I kept eating, so I decided it must be really good! lol I also saw that Ron Ben Israel uses the same recipe icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%