Isomalt Help

Sugar Work By shelleyp_98 Updated 3 May 2011 , 9:40pm by dchockeyguy

shelleyp_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelleyp_98 Posted 3 May 2011 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 3

My first attempt at sugar and I can't seem to get it above 250 what am I doing wrong I follow the directions on the bag 2 cups to a half a cup of distilled water I am trying to make a rectangle shape for a pool Also what type of container would 1 use in order to get the finish product out of the mold What I did last night Turned out sticky when I put it in the freezer 8 gelled up I was able to get it out but they just melted back together because it all cracked Can I place what I did back in a pot and try get a backup to the 320 I don't know how long to cook It to get up to the 328 degrees I let it boil 415 minutes using my candy thermometer and no Luck Also I was told I can just buy light blue candy crush it up and put it in the oven for about 8 minutes this would melt and I would be able to pour into some type of mold Do you spray with pam and I wipe out the excess [/img]

2 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 3


I did the SAME thing with isomalt, as I couldn't get the candy at such high temp either..wierd! So I was told to cook it until you think it's extremely hot and cooked awhile,,then put a little candy on a spoon and see how it sets up. If it hardens up on your spoon like candy,,then your isomalt is ready. ALSO,,be SURE you put your isomalt in a glass, measurement jar FAST, then pour your isomalt onto LIGHTLY greased(pam is fine) molding/ wax paper. ANything basically you can use as long as you have it waxed covered(EXCEPT molds) and lightly greased so it will peel off evenly. Be real careful peeling off as it can break easily. I heard you can re-melt it yes, but not sure as I haven't done it before.

Don't know about buying candy and melting it either...sorry. It may work!

Best of luck!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 3

yes, a thin layer of pam or vegetable oil on the edge of a metal mold will allow it to come off just fine. Just spray and wipe the excess off.

Are you stirring your sugar? Don't stir, just let it cook alone and it should get up to temperature. If it doesn't get hot enough, it will never set properly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%