Which State(S)

Business By Paperfishies Updated 3 May 2011 , 10:56pm by aundrea

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 2 May 2011 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 6

Will allow you to bake from home and sell those goods without any kind of licensing and without any kind of inspection from the health department?

Someone asked me this today and I spent about 20 minutes trying to find some info and I came up with nothing...The only thing I can come up with is some cottage food laws are confusing and misleading but when you get down to it, they all have restrictions and limitations.

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

Generally states with cottage food laws have minimal licensing requirements, and may or may not require a home inspection.

Which state were you looking for information about? A good starting point is here:

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:37am
post #3 of 6

Ohio's cottage food law allows baking from home without a license or inspection. Two significant restrictions: Cannot make things that require refrigeration and you have to include ingredients labels.

The information can be found on the dept of agriculture's website:


aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #4 of 6

i wonder what new hampshire laws are?
do they have cottage food laws too?
and something ive always wondered....
if you are a licensed home baker or bake/sell under the cottage laws-
if you use the cake extender receipe or box mixes, are you able to sell even though you use say 'betty crocker' box mix.
if you have to list the ingredients do you list the box mix you use or the ingredients in the box.
does 'betty crocker' or 'pillsbury' allow home bakers to sell their baked cakes?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6

Speaking for Ohio, yes, you can use extenders and box mixes. You list the ingredients in the box mix- each and every ingredient- plus all the ingredients in everything else you mix in with the box. Same goes for frostings, fillings, and fondants.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 6

I'm wondering if you use example: duncan hines, do you need to list it as duncan hines or just list the ingredients. I guess I'm curious as to the legality of using a brand/box name doe you need to list the brand name along with their ingredients. I would tgink you would have to incase of any type of food recall that might occur. But I don't know if you are also legally obligated to list the brand name.
Does that make sense??

Quote by @%username% on %date%