Vanilla Rum Cake Like The Ones In Miami

Español By QbanHildy Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 7:38pm by bananabread

QbanHildy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QbanHildy Posted 2 May 2011 , 11:45am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone. I am looking for a similar recipe for a vanilla rum cake like the ones in miami. The cake itself is dense and they moisten it with some sort of simple syrup. There are no spanish bakeries in the area I live.

Thanks,
Hildy

7 replies
bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 8

you make a sponge cake, and leave it in the pan, then you prepare a syrup
3/4 cup of sugar
3 cups of water
3/4 cup of ligh rum
1 cinnammon stick

boil sugar and water, until sugar is melted, then whenthe syrup is cold add the liquour.

soak the cake for 2 to 3 hours, or until the next day, pass a knife around the cake and put it on a plate, serve with a custard on the top and with cinammon and raisins.
if you need the recipe I will be glad to sent it to you. and if you have skype I can also connect on line and we can talk.

Silviascakeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silviascakeart Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 8

Hi This recipe sounds good, could I ask you to email it to me.

bananabread Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 8

sponge cake

you can use to make tiramisu, tres leches (3 milks, with whip cream and strawberries, etc)

9 xlarge separated
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 cups sifted flour then measured, then sifted 2 more times
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsb vanilla extract

in a bowl put 8 egg yolks and 1 egg, this is to make your batter smooth, whip until is pale, then and vanilla and flour with baking powder. by hand.
whip egg yolks not to stiff, and mix very slowly. Grease pan only in the botton, put paper greased and with flour. bake at 350 or 180 for 25 or more minutes until is gold on the top. do not remove from the pan.

add the syrup and let rest in the refrigerator for one night. next day unmold and prepare a custor to put on the top.

for lthis size of mold double syrup recipe

custard

3 cups of milk
7 tbs cornstarch
3/4 cups sugar
1 stick cinammon or v1 tbs vanilla extract.
3 egg yolks

mix sugar with cornstarch, this avoid to make lumps, mix milk , eggs and sugar with cornstarch (this can be done in the mixer) cook until you tasted and doesn't feel a flour tasted. Pour over cake and put some raisings and cinnammon powder.

keep refrigerated. if you have any douts please write me. regards

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 17 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by QbanHildy

Hi everyone. I am looking for a similar recipe for a vanilla rum cake like the ones in miami. The cake itself is dense and they moisten it with some sort of simple syrup. There are no spanish bakeries in the area I live.

Thanks,
Hildy

Hi Hildy

Click on the link then scroll down the list of recipes to 'Cake Emborrachado' and 'Cake De Ron'. Both are rums cakes from 3 guys in Miami, with the Cake De Ron recipe having the addition of Banana liqueur.

http://icuban.com/food/zerts.html

There's also the famous Bacardi Rum cake recipe.

With a cake mix that does not have pudding in the mix. You add pudding in this one.

http://www.food.com/recipe/bacardi-rum-cake-14499

With a yellow cake mix that has pudding included in the mix.

http://thebakingpan.com/recipes/cake/bacardi-rum-cake.html

And the Bacardi Rum cake from scratch.

BACARDI RUM HOLIDAY CELEBRATION CAKE

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Bacardi Gold rum, flavored rum, or other spirit
3 eggs
2 cups chopped pecans (divided use)
Rum glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan. Combine flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a mixer. Add butter and mix on low speed until butter is worked in completely; the mixture will have a sandy appearance.

In a small bowl, combine milk, rum, and eggs. Whisk to blend. With mixer on low, add milk mixture to dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in 11/2 cups pecans. Pour batter evenly into pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, until top of cake springs back when touched.

While the cake is baking, make rum glaze. When cake is done, remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in pan. Invert the cake onto a rack with a large plate underneath. With a wooden skewer or toothpick, pierce cake all over, spacing marks about 1 inch apart.

Spoon reserved rum syrup over cake to soak in. Transfer cake to a clean plate and pour thickened glaze over top. Immediately sprinkle with reserved pecans. Makes 16 servings.

Rum glaze: In a saucepan, combine 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar and 1/3 cup water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup rum, then turn off heat. Add 4 tablespoons butter and stir until melted. Pour 3/4 cup of syrup into a separate container for moistening the cake. To the syrup in the pan, add 2 cups confectioners' sugar and whisk until blended. Add 1 more cup confectioners' sugar and whisk until smooth. Add up to 1 more cup confectioners' sugar, as needed to make a thick, pourable glaze.

Note: The cake can be baked and soaked several days in advance; store it wrapped in plastic wrap. Glaze and decorate the cake the day it will be served.

SOURCE: Bacardi Rum and Nick Malgieri

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 17 May 2011 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 8

Do a search for CAKE BORRACHO under my posts

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

AI have a cuestion about this cake yu mention yolks 2 times where the whites go? BABANACAKE I an from Guatemala I live in North Carolina for 13 years now I really want to now this recipe thanks and advance

bananabread Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 8

Sorry, you whip egg whites

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%