How Far In Advance Cake I Decorate A Cake???

Decorating By lsz1978 Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm by lsz1978

lsz1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsz1978 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 8

i have been asked to make a cake for a birthday party while i'll be out of town. i could deliver it f days before the party, but i feel that is too long to have the cake out! how far in advance can you decorate a cake? i've considered freezing it but am not sure of the effects that could have on the cake... it will be a dr seuss cake covered in either fondant or modeling chocolate... i need you advice!!!

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 8

How many is f days? And is this the cake you were asking about freezing the other day?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 8

how many days in advance?

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 8
lsz1978 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 8

sorry... that was supposed to read... fiveicon_smile.gif! that would be in addition to the decorating time - prob 1-2 days

lsz1978 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 8

TexasSugar... yes this is the same cake. i decided i might not freeze it and just deliver in the day i leave town... that's why i was asking how far in advance you can decorate a cake without freezing iticon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 8

Okay so you need to deliver it 5 days before the event and are planning to bake and decorate another one to two days on top of that? So the cake will be 6-7 days old when eaten?

I wouldn't stretch things that long at all. I think you are better off freezing it, and changing the design if you need to. I personally do not like cake after the 4-5 day mark.

lsz1978 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 8

thanks... that's kind-of what i was thinking too. i just have read all different freezing directions. i don't know whether to cover the cake in fondant or modeling chocolate (will that determine how i freeze it?) and if i should thaw it covered in the frig and then the counter or uncovered in the frig and then counter or no frig at all. i'm just nervous b/c i won't be able to see the cake before it's delivered... i'll already be out of town! thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%