"stick" Bride/groom Help!

Decorating By jlcakes Updated 5 May 2011 , 4:23pm by cakeninja82

jlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:04am
post #1 of 4

I am making a large monogram type thing- kind of hard to explain so I hope you understand icon_smile.gif
It is a topper for a wedding cake, themed after the invitation. It is suppose to look like a stickman and stickwoman bride/groom.
I am just making it out of fondant. It will be flat, with different colors of fondant for the different parts (dress, hair, bowtie, etc). I'll just use edible marker for the eyes/mouth, etc.

Here are my questions-

1. how long would something like this take to dry? If I make it 6-7 days in advance, is that long enough? (The entire thing -bride and groom- will probably be 4 inches by 6 inches)

2. I was thinking of using royal icing to stick lollipops onto the back of the "monogram". Do you think that would work? Or are there better options? I am worried it might be a little heavy.

3. Any tips?

3 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:23am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcakes

1. how long would something like this take to dry? If I make it 6-7 days in advance, is that long enough? (The entire thing -bride and groom- will probably be 4 inches by 6 inches)

6-7 days "should" be enough, however the weather will play an important role, if it's humid, it will take a lot longer to dry, if it dries at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcakes

2. I was thinking of using royal icing to stick lollipops onto the back of the "monogram". Do you think that would work? Or are there better options? I am worried it might be a little heavy.
3. Any tips?

Is what you're making something like this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/natiscakes/2386935101/in/photostream
From memory, I made it with fondant fortified with tylose/gumtrag and put a wooden skewer through the middle of them, so it couldn't be seen. They were thick enough to fit the skewer. Also adding something like gumtrag or tylose will help it dry.

jlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcakes Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much!

cakeninja82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeninja82 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 4

I would suggest using gumpaste, it dries harder and faster and once dried it is a bit more resistant to humidity and even refrigeration.

I make my gumpaste toppers and things about 2 days in advance, sometimes 3 if I have the time and even as late at 1 day in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%