Diabetic Cakeballs?

Baking By Briniga Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 3:15pm by TexasSugar

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, someone asked me if I can make diabetic cakeballs, is that possible? If so does anyone have the recipe for the cake, frosting & dipping chocolate? thanks

7 replies
Briniga Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 4:45am
post #2 of 8

anyone know?

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:20am
post #3 of 8

hi
i never made diabetic ones but thought about it!
On cakeart.com, they have a sugar free candy melt option. its under "chocolate and candy ingredients". Maybe you can use that as the coating.

As for the cake filling, I would look up some special diabetic ADA approved cake recipes.

as for a binder....hmmm...Not sure if there is diabetic frosting out there! so maybe a liquid coffee creamer binder? You'd have to experament with taste but I'm sure it's possible!

Briniga Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 8

thank you so much for the info! i will look that up! icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 8

Pillsbury just came out with a couple of sugar free cake mixes. They use splenda instead and are pretty good. Yellow and Devil's food are all I have found.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 8

There is so much more to diabetic than just removing sugar. Carbs are a big part and carbs are a big part of the cake structure.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 8

Texas Sugar: good point. I checked it out when making cookies for my diabetic granfather - they used sugarfree cake mix as the base and the Pillsbury one was acceptable. The exchange was minimal so worked out but on a larger scale, of course you'd have to pay careful attention to the exchanges.

Google Diabetic cake mixes/frostings. There are a couple of mix brands out there and a ton of recipes. Again, paying attention to the exchange. Something to keep in mind with recipies: Fruit Juice = fructos = sugar conversion.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 8

My grandma was diabetic for years. We never did anything special for her when it came to desserts. She was always one of those, if she wanted a treat she'd have it, and give up other things to make up for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%