I Know Someone Else Asked But...

Business By kristiemarie Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 4:02pm by jennifercullen

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 16

...I too am wondering if my caking ability makes my cakes good enough to sell. You are all so talented and business savvy, you are the only ones I could trust to ask, honestly, if this is worth going forward on.

I am not worried about the business end of things. 1- I'd be doing a home bakery (cottage law) so I won't have overhead. 2- My husband runs a restaurant so I know a lot about food service, cost and management. 3- I've dabbled with a pricing matrix so I know what it actually costs to make a cake, ingredients and time wise. I've done my homework and would like to do this part time for real, not just for fun.

I still have a ways to go before I would actually put my cakes out there for sale. It will probably be 6 months (at least) before I'd actually move forward with selling, so I still have time to practice. I'd like to learn some more buttercream techniques and learn more flowers.

I won't stop making cakes, for family or friends but they will always tell me how great my cakes are, even if they suck. LOL

I know I don't have a lot of cakes up in the gallery, so I know the first thing you will all say is MORE PRACTICE! I know that, and will of course, practice. But the question is, do you think that I could sell cakes or is this just something I should stick to as a hobby?

Thanks for any and all opinions. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. If you really think I should just stick to being a hobby baker, it's ok to say so. icon_wink.gif I don't want to get my hopes up to open a business if it's just never going to happen.

15 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 16

You don't really have enough photos posted to accurately judge your skills but what you have posted looks pretty good! Keep caking!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 16

First, I find if you really want something that you have control over, you can succeed. So if you really want to and are determined to practice, then you will get to where you want with your cakes. I say that also because your fondant cakes are quite good. You already know you need to practice the buttercream so have a realistic view. So I would say 'yes!" go for it.

Since your husband owns a resturant, I dont' suppose you can start supplying him with desserts for his menu? It may be a way to practice the buttercream since it will be cut up anyway and the customer won't see the whole cake.

kristiemarie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks kitagrl! I am one of those people who wants to be told the truth up front. No, well, just practice and you'll get better! Even if you're just not cut out for doing something.

I'd rather someone tell me now that hey, you're ok, but really, not good enough to sell. I will keep caking, and posting pics. I do love it.

kristiemarie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks sweetflowers! No, unfortunately, we don't own it anymore. (long story) He just runs it now, so adding to the menu wouldn't be easy.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 16

You've got real potential...just need to practice. Watch a lot of youtube tutorials... Maybe buy some dummy cakes (they are kind of expensive...but reusable!) and start copying others designs for practice. You'll learn a lot by trying to achieve the same techniques that others have used. I encourage copying at first because in learning others style and techniques you can apply that knowledge to your own designs down the road. My very first cake was a Tiffany box and I wanted it to look like a cake I had seen on the internet with a certain type of bow, so I did my research and learned how to do it and have since applied that knowledge to other cakes. If you've got the passion you'll do well because I think you have the raw talent now--especially in your figures! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

kristiemarie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks!!

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 16

(I'm not a professional so take my opinion for what it's worth) but I think you do a really good job when you get into those little details that make a cake special, like on your thanksgiving cake. Good luck.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:07am
post #9 of 16

I'm kinda in the same boat, if the cottage food bill passes here in Florida I MAY want to sell cakes but not sure if I'm good enough. In my case, I feel that it doesn't matter what people say...I have to feel confident enough in myself to sell them...I'm not there yet...more practice!! Good Luck to you!

kristiemarie Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:23am
post #10 of 16

I take everyone's opinion because you are all cakers and know what's what!!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 2:31am
post #11 of 16

Well, I guess my opinion, for what its worth is that you need a new camera. Its really hard to see the details in most of the cakes and the lighting is really bad.
I know, you didn't ask about your photography skills, but if you want to sell cakes, those will be CRUCIAL down the line, and if the cakes in your photos are all you have to show clients, then you have nothing to show them.
The cakes themselves AREN'T BAD, they're just fine, albiet they need some refining that will come with practice.
But, if you plan on doing this "for real," you need to realize that every cake you do will count towards a sale, IF you can capture it well.
Now, I'm the one who does kick myself after working a 14 hour day that I didn't take my time and photograph my cake better, but I do make sure the lighting and the angle at least helps with seeing detail and showing the cakes best features.

the other comment would be to start making cakes like crazy NOW. Not just dummy cakes, although that's helpful. But start making yourself some goals- like, I'm going to make at least one cake per week in different themes and go through the entire process from design to finish and photograph eveyrthing. That will help you so much you can't imagine.
Good luck to you! It is soooo exciting to find a passion and to have the support to give it a go! You are a lucky gal and many of the cakers in states that don't allow cottage food production are wishing they were you!

kristiemarie Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 16

You are right. I have been taking my pictures with my phone. icon_redface.gif I know, bad, right? But when I first started doing this, I had no inclination to start selling. I have a great camera at home. I just need to get it out, apparently. LOL

I like the idea of doing a cake, just for practice, from start to finish. Because realistically, that's what I'll have to do if and when someone orders. I'll still have my full time job and my kid and my dogs. Maybe I can't handle it? This will at least give me practice on how to juggle it all!

Thanks so much!!

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:05pm
post #13 of 16

I think your cakes are lovely.
I believe you should not wait for perfection before you start selling, it will never come(in your eyes).
Always strive for excellence!
Good Luck!
Something someone told me in a previous CC post, it meant so much to me & I now live by this!

Excellence is risk.
Perfection is fear.

Excellence is powerful.
Perfection is anger and frustration.

Excellence is spontaneous.
Perfection is control.

Excellence is accepting.
Perfection is judgment.

Excellence is giving.
Perfection is taking.

Excellence is confidence.
Perfection is doubt.

Excellence is flowing.
Perfection is pressure.

Excellence is journey.
Perfection is destination.

kristiemarie Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:07pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you so much! I like that!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:20pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

You are right. I have been taking my pictures with my phone. icon_redface.gif I know, bad, right? But when I first started doing this, I had no inclination to start selling. I have a great camera at home. I just need to get it out, apparently. LOL

I like the idea of doing a cake, just for practice, from start to finish. Because realistically, that's what I'll have to do if and when someone orders. I'll still have my full time job and my kid and my dogs. Maybe I can't handle it? This will at least give me practice on how to juggle it all!

Thanks so much!!

I left you a cake comment on your heel/shoe icon_smile.gif : Critique Sub Member group (CSM) is an excellent forum. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624760.html
It has really helped me improve and strive to be better. I'm actually more nail-biting on cakes from THIS group of people than I am the customer1 icon_lol.gif They will be brutual but honest and it WORKS!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:02pm
post #16 of 16

People keep telling me I should start a business with my cakes. (I think they are nowhere near good enough for that, and you on here will probably agree) there are places in my area that sell cakes that are nowhere near as good as some I have seen on here!

I think your cakes look lovely. They are better than mine anyway. I've only been doing this for about a month now and thanks to friends and family having birthdays and one of my friends asking me to make cakes for her friends occasions I've kept a pretty steady flow going. To some people your cakes might not look up to scratch for selling as a business, but to me I think they do. non-cakers (or cake muggles icon_smile.gif ) would not see the imperfections as much as cake makers do. With all of my cakes except the piped one I and probably you can see lots of imperfections, but the people at the parties and baby showers etc have all their hosts how fab the cakes are (and these are not people I know who tell you your work is wonderful regardless).

Sorry that might be a bit long, but I'd say get the wheels in motion if it is what you want to do with it. 6 months is lots of time to practice and you will be showing people your photos before they order probably so they can judge whether they think you are good enough or not. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%