What Is The Best Way To Make Dark Grey Fondant...

Decorating By DivaWeava Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 4:14am by DivaWeava

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hello All!

I am making a wedding cake this week, and the bride has asked for grey fondant. She said she prefers darker greys to the lighter.

I have been trying to decide if it is better to airbrush the fondant (however, I do not have grey airbrush paint). Or, if it is better to just dye the whole batch grey. However, I am unsure of how to get the perfect shade? Do you think I should use black dye and white dye until I get the desired effect???

I use Americolor Gels, but I don't have white, but can get some if needed.

if I were to use the airbrush, what colors should I mix to get grey? Black and white again?

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and expertise!

6 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 11:45am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaWeava

Hello All!

I am making a wedding cake this week, and the bride has asked for grey fondant. She said she prefers darker greys to the lighter.

I have been trying to decide if it is better to airbrush the fondant (however, I do not have grey airbrush paint). Or, if it is better to just dye the whole batch grey. However, I am unsure of how to get the perfect shade? Do you think I should use black dye and white dye until I get the desired effect???

I use Americolor Gels, but I don't have white, but can get some if needed.

if I were to use the airbrush, what colors should I mix to get grey? Black and white again?

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and expertise!

Seeing that your fondant is already white, you will only need black. Just add a little black at a time until you get the desired shade. Start with a small amount, because once you've added too much, the only way to lighten it, is to add more white fondant icon_wink.gif
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 7

I've noticed that when I use Americolor Black gel that my fondant looks a little purple rather than gray. I tried using a powdered black color made by Chefmaster and that made a true gray color. You can add as much as you need to get a dark gray. Hope this helps!

xSam12x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xSam12x Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7

I always use black gel paste to make grey shades icon_smile.gif

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 7

If the grey is too purple (and it probably will be, IME) add green. Avocado green works the best for me.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

If I need black or dark grey for accents I buy premade Black Fondant.

Never had to cover a whole cake but the suggestions above all sound good

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone! I just finished making the fondant and I only added the black gel to get the dark grey color. It is late, and the lighting is such that I cannot get a good idea of the final color. If it is too purple I will try adding the avocado green. However, the contrasting color is dark purple, so it may work out just fine. Thanks again! (0:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%