Help! Why Did It Collapse?!

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 1:49am by BlakesCakes

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:14am
post #1 of 7

I spent hours on a 3 tier cake that ended in disaster! Help me learn why!

Bottom tier was 10" round WASC with peanut butter mousse filling, covered in buttercream. 3 poly-dowels supported the 2nd tier (8"), & 3 wooden dowels supported the top (6"). Wooden dowel through middle of whole cake.

Cake was finished Saturday & boxed. Still looked great Sunday morning. I didn't check it right before delivery Sunday afternoon but when I got to the dinner, the bottom tier had partially collapsed &, since one whole side was flattened, the top two tiers had slid off. Help!

Did the mousse filling make the bottom tier too shifty? Were the 3 poly-dowels not enough support? Should I have used wooden dowels instead? I really never want to be that mortified again!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:35am
post #2 of 7

Um, no, three dowels were not enough.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:36am
post #3 of 7

Sorry you had this happen, next time try sps never fails!

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:45am
post #4 of 7

Anytime there's a collapse it's structural integrity. You need to make sure your dowels are spaced right (in correct quantity) to evenly distribute weight AND make sure your cakes are level. Sorry there was a disaster. Hope you were able to salvage it.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:09am
post #5 of 7

To support an 8" cake I use 6 cake straws, not enough support. So sorry:/

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:20am
post #6 of 7

I am sorry! I have to agree, 3 should have been 5 to 6 - OR the SPS is a great system for tiered cakes! icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:49am
post #7 of 7

If the "3 poly" dowels that you used were the Wilton plastic dowels, then that should have been plenty to support an 8". I use about 1 of those dowels per 2 inches of cake, but an equilateral triangle of 3 is great for stability.

Using the wooden dowels, I would have used about 1/inch of cake to be supported, so 5-6.

Since the bottom cake had partially collapsed, I'd guess that your dowels in it weren't evenly cut and may have been too short, allowing weight from the top tiers to press down on it, breaking it. Also, if the cakes weren't centered on each other and/or if the dowels were all lined up throughout the tiers, that could have contributed to the problem.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%