New To Decorating, Please Help!!

Decorating By Rico1725 Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 4:25pm by Rico1725

Rico1725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rico1725 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if I should use 2" or 3" deep pans for a 2 tier stacked cake that will be for a baby shower? The bottom tier will be a 12" and the top will be a 10". It will not have any type of filling in it. This is my first time making a cake this big, so any other advice would be SO helpful. Do I need a heating core?

One more thing, does everyone make their own icing? Or do you buy?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 6

If you bake in 2" pans, you can get 2 nice (almost) 2" layers for each tier. With the buttercream or whatever you're going to use to hold the layers together plus the frosting or the fondant to cover it, the tier will be the basically standard four inches that most people use. I haven't noticed any difference, but many people say that if you bake a cake that was meant for a 2" pan in a 3" one, you'll have problems (I'm not sure with what exactly - maybe evennnes of cooking or final consistency?).

Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry, I forgot about your other questions. With 10" and 12" layers, I would use a flower nail or maybe even two or three. I've never used a heating core (I don't have any), so I can't tell you about those. As for icing, it's so easy and economical to make that most people make their own, as opposed to fondant, which is such a bother that I'd say about 40% of those who use fondant buy it ready-made. I'm one of them, although the price of fondant is going up so fast here in Mexico that I might have to start making my own in self-defense.

Rico1725 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your help.

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:26am
post #5 of 6

Any time, that's what we're here for! I see you're not only new to decorating but new to Cake Central too. Welcome aboard. I hope you learn as much and have as good a time here as I have!

Rico1725 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%