Making Michele Foster's Fondant Black

Baking By k4of9 Updated 9 May 2011 , 2:24am by Jamielc

k4of9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k4of9 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 4

I am making Michele Foster's fondant for the first time today and plan on coloring it black. My question is should I put the black color in when I add the glycerine and substitute some of the gel color for the glycerine? If I do substitute some how much? Thank you so much.

3 replies
creativecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecakemom Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 4

I would say that you add the color into the glycerine but do not reduce the amount of glycerin-mainly because you are told a lot of times to add more glycerine once you are done making it and are in the process of kneading it if it seems too stiff. Another thing to help darken it is adding the chocolate option that she gives in the recipe-you add dark chocolate chips with the cream instead of the white chocolate. That gives you a "head start" in making it black since it so often takes so much coloring to make it black. Hope that helps! It's WoNdErFuL fondant by the way!!

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:43am
post #3 of 4

Can you make it chocolate, and then add a small amount of black? Then you'd have to add much less coloring.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #4 of 4

I haven't done it with Michele Foster's fondant .. but when I used to make black marshmallow fondant, I'd add chocolate chips to the marshmallows and then add the black coloring to the liquid marshmallows. Whenever I color Michele's fondant, I always add my coloring to the liquids ... saves so much kneading and headaches!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%