What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By aimb Updated 8 Sep 2005 , 2:00pm by bubblezmom

aimb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimb Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 17

I am trying to bake a 10 inch round cake, and for the life of me I can not get it to come out of the pan without leaving half the bottom stuck to the pan. I have tried Bakers Joy, Wilton Easy Bake, and Wilton Cake Release. I let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before trying to remove it. Every single time (3 times now!) part of the bottom is stuck to the pan. It seems as though the bottom isn't quite done even though the toothpick comes out clean when I test it. Could I not be baking long enough?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly apprciated!!!

16 replies
Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 17

Put parchement or wax paper at the bottom.

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 17

Every time I bake a cake, I use the canola Pam spray, then line the bottom of my pan with parchment paper. I then spray the parchment with the Pam and the sides really well. I've never had one stick since I started using the parchment. Hope this helps.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 17

You might try using the flower nail for a heating core too. That should help your doneness issue.

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 17

Pam has come out with a spray that is for baking. It has flour infused in it. Since I have started using this spray, I have never had one stick. I don't use parchment either. It is wonderful stuff.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 17

How close to the burner (bottom of the oven) are you baking the cake? Maybe it's too close to the burner?

Try using the parchment in the bottom of the pan. That should help if the sprays, etc aren't working for you.

Good Luck!
Debbie

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 17

I used to use the bakers joy or pam with flour until I got the cake release recipie from this site. So much cheaper because you already have all the ingredients - flour, oil, shortening. And works great they come out beautiful every time.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 17

I usually just use baker's joy, but with my devil's food cake, I *must* use parchment paper. I suppose that's why it says so in the recipe. I've even tried it in a silicone muffin pan with baker's joy, and it still stuck. So it may just be your recipe. I'd try parchment paper, and the flower nail to make sure it's done.

Ali

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 17

I also use the pam w/ flour and have not had any problems. I just did a 10 inch cake the other day. I did use the flour nail to help with the cooking.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 17

I know alot of caker's are going to disagree with me. icon_redface.gif
But I never let my cakes cool in the pan. As soon as I remove the cake from the oven, I remove the cake from the pan to the cooling rack.

A teacher told me that some of the non-stick products will glue the cake to the pan as it cools. I use Wilton cake release for all my "customer's" cakes and for practice cakes, I use butter flavor cooking spray. I have NEVER had a cake stick.

I also have heard if you turn the pan over (cake still in pan) onto a cooling rack and place a hot moist towel??? on it, it will melt the "glue" or you can put the cake back in the oven for a minute to melt it also.
(I am not suggesting that this is the reason why your cakes are sticking....just posting some info that I have read over time....)

Just adding my thoughts...
Leslie icon_smile.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 17

I'm with you Leslie. I don't usually let my cakes cool in the pan either. I will let them sit for just a bit to 'rest' and then I flip them out.
How long and what temp are you baking at?? I would imagine that the bottom would not be cooked but the middle would, sounds backwards to me. Also, if you are using the Bakers Joy/Pam type spray, do you spray enough and all over??

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 1:59am
post #12 of 17

The longest I've let my cakes sit in the pans is about 1 or 2 minutes. I use the homemade cake release - LOVE IT. Since I've started with that I've never, ever had a cake stick.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 2:56am
post #13 of 17

I use the homemade cake release and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Also, sometimes I will let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then I will cover it (cake, pan and all) and put it in the freezer to cool. It tends to be more moist this way, and it still comes out of the pan.

aimb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimb Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 2:59am
post #14 of 17

Thank you all so much!! I tried lining the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, and the cake turned out beautifully!

This site is the greatest!! I don't post much, but I read a lot and have learned so much from everyone here. Thanks again!

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 3:03am
post #15 of 17

Maybe I'm too new to say anything, but I never remove a cake from the pan while it's still warm. I always wait until it's completely cool to the touch before I remove it and I never have had a problem with the cake sticking. In fact, I tried to remove one while it was still slightly warm and it stuck to the bottom of the pan and cracked the cake. So I guess I would say find what works best for you... I also never cool them on a rack. Just in the pan, on the counter. But to each his own, I guess! icon_biggrin.gif

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 3:06am
post #16 of 17

I use the 3" deep Wilton pans for all my round cakes and I always cool in the pan on top of my cooling rack sometimes upwards of half an hour and never had one stick. I use the Pam with flour. I also generally use DH cake mix.
Colette Peters uses a parchment round in the bottom and cools in the pan, and even transfers that to the fridge (in the pan) that way the cake is firm enough to work with when you pop it out. =)

Do you use a 'non-stick' dark pan? That would make sense that the outsides would cook too quickly and the insides would not be cooked. Maybe try lowering the temp of your oven to 325-335° and extending the bake time a little. Just a thought. icon_biggrin.gif

Mixee

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 17

It sounds like you need a different pan. icon_sad.gif

When a recipes state that the pan must be lined, I use wax paper. Works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%