Silver Cloud Vanilla Bean Paste Problem

Decorating By mochidaifukutan Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm by scp1127

mochidaifukutan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochidaifukutan Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:00am
post #1 of 11

I just ordered lots of items from globalsugarart.com recently from Malaysia. Very efficient I can say, particularly, the silver cloud vanilla bean paste I just purchased has a very strong alcohol smell. Im not sure if vanilla bean paste should smell like that, but the alcohol smell is unbearable, i tried tasting it and there's no vanilla taste at all. I've tried the real vanilla bean pods and it smells great, no alcohol smell.. the alcohol taste is still in my throat right now. May I know has it spoilt? Anyone please help me to answer this! This bean paste is really expensive!

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:08am
post #2 of 11

You should probably contact GlobalSugarArt customer service for help:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/contact.php

HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:07am
post #3 of 11

I used Silver Cloud before I found Neilson-Massey. It is not quite as sweet as NM, but it is in no way bitter. Send it back. They will probably just send you a replacement without sending it back. They are really great at fixing problems.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 11

A lot of pastes or ectracts do have alcohol in them, I suspect, that being in Malaysia, you are prohibited by religion from consuming alcohol? In that case, i would suggest you buy vanilla pods and either make your own vanilla sugar or just scrape the pods.

I make my own vanilla sugar by splitting beans and putting a load of them in sugar. the sugar takes in the arome after a couple of weeks. Once the pods are dry, I then put everything into a food processor and pulverise them. I can keep the sugar going for about 2 refills before puverising

mochidaifukutan Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 11

no, im alright with alcohol, im not a muslim..anyway i just got a reply from globalsugarart, it says that there's no problem with the vanilla bean paste. I just tried baking with it, i think it tastes alright, not the best, i think vanilla pods are way better. Unfortunately, I used the paste in my SMBC, and my whole buttercream tasted very bitter...had to put more icing sugar and lots of other flavorings to save it..thanks everyone for the reply though!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 11

Tell the truth, making your own vanilla is so easy, just takes some time. Can you get vanilla pods in Malaysia? If yes, try it, you'll never buy the ready mades again. I always have 2 large Tupperwares fulll of vanilla sugar going (about 3 cups sugar to 15 pods) and 2 large bottles of Vanilla vodka (or other high percentage alcohol) As soon as one is emtpty, I refill with either sugar or vodka (refill possible twice, but always add in 2-3 new pods). When the sugar one has been refilled enough, the beans are dry, so I just grind them in a foodprocessor with sugar and the sugar is so intensely vanilla, it's crazy. You will have to sift that though before using to get out the bits, that did not pulverize.
Keep both of them in a dark place (I used dark bottles for the alcohol extracts as well)

scp1127 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:51am
post #7 of 11

There was something wrong with it. It tastes sweeter than extract. I used it because it was the first brand I found. The NM is better, but the Silver Cloud was fine. Call GSA and tell them again.

mochidaifukutan Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:54am
post #8 of 11

i dont know how to argue with them, they said it's fine and all. hmmm... yeah i could get vanilla pods but very limited...and very pricey too so i opt for vanilla bean paste and now im not satisfied with it.hmm...may i know how much NM costs?? does globalsugarart sell it??
what about Queen vanilla bean paste? have you heard about it? I could only find the brand here..sighs.

scp1127 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 11

Amazon.com has Neilson-Massey for $47.00 for a 32 oz bottle. Some people on CC have gotten it locally from wholesalers.

GSA has had great customer service in the past. Tell them about the cake that was bad and that you went on CC and confirmed that it was bad. If they refuse to return it, tell them you are going on CC to ask about customer service problems with GSA.

mochidaifukutan Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 11

Globalsugarart.com has agreed to refund me the money! now i will just stick to vanilla bean pods. As for scp1127 and Ursula40's suggestions on NM vanilla bean paste and homemade vanilla, i will keep that in mind! Thanks alot for the advices! really appreciate it!

scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 11

Glad they took it back. Do try the NM paste. It is one of the best things I did for my baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%