How To Price Very Simple But Large Cakes??

Decorating By katmama116 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 3:21am by caymancake

katmama116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katmama116 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 3

I don't do many cakes on my own.. I used to work in a grocery store and decorated there and had to go by their prices... I live in a small town and the school has asked me to make a cake for a school function. My supplies are minimal (jello cake with whipped cream) so I can't figure out how to price it... Its mainly my time invested(miles to go out of town to get the supplies and time spent baking)

How do you value your time??????

thanks!

2 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:19am
post #2 of 3

I LOVE JELLO CAKE!!!! thumbs_up.gif

I have a minimum price per serving but my situation may be different than yours. I've heard others say their standard is ingredients/costs times three, which may be appropriate for your situation, plus a generous delivery fee.

That or see how much your cake would be at a bakery, and then add additional cost for it being custom, and then add a delivery fee.

My minimum for anything is $3.50/serving around here so that isn't helping you. icon_smile.gif

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:21am
post #3 of 3

Decide how much you want to earn per hour and go from there! Don't under value yourself either! If they want grocery store pricing, then go to the grocery store, otherwise, pay custom prices for your customized piece of edible art - even if it is simple!

Don't forget to factor into the price, the cost of ingredients, gas used to and from the store and of course the water, utilities and other costs associated with making the cake as well! I hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%