Drilling?

Decorating By Anniesmommy Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 7:52pm by Maria_Campos

Anniesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anniesmommy Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:40am
post #1 of 5

Hi All! I'm relatively new to the cake decorating scene but have found this site to be such a huge help whenever I need something. Recently, a friend of mine has asked me to make her wedding cake for her....my first ever, and I'm freaking out! I have a few questions that I was hoping to find some answers to!

Has anyone used a "cakestackers" cake stacking system? I ordered the "genesis" or starter set and it came in today. It looks pretty solid and from what the website says, it seems user friendly. However, before I open it completely and play around with the cake boards etc, I was wondering if anyone had ever used it before?

This leads me to my second question, the support system has a rod that goes through all layers of your cake. However, on the website, it seems like you need to "pre-drill" the holes in the cake. Can one really do that? It seems weird to me to drill a hole in a cake. If not a drill, then what do I use to get a hole about 1-2 inches in diameter in the center of each cake layer?

Any information/suggestions would be really helpful and GREATLY appreciated!

TIA!

4 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:47am
post #2 of 5

Look for a cake corer.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:59am
post #3 of 5

get a cake corer!! Or, you can live on the edge of danger (i do not recommended btw) and pre drill the holes in your cake boards, stack you layers, then, hold the cake up, and get a long knife and cut out the hole from the bottom...scary! Its the only way I have done it so far! next tool for wedding cakes, cake corer is the top of my list!

Anniesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anniesmommy Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:18am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help! I will look for a cake corer! It is something I can only get online? I have noticed that it seems as though wilton discontinued theirs when I've seen it posted online.

Thanks again, you've been a huge help!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%