Not Sure How To Handle-Jury Duty

Business By karateka Updated 13 May 2011 , 9:30pm by patticakesnc

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:14am
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra

Why does everyone try and get out of them....

I never try to get out of them. The first time I was called, they settled out of court and I was mad that I couldn't be on the jury. My stance about "harm to a child" is just that I couldn't stomach having to sit and listen to may have happened. Would I like to vote to fry his a$$? He!! yes!!!!!!!!!!! But he'd end up with a mistrial when I started crying and throwing up during the testimony.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:23am
post #32 of 44

I DON't want out of it.....I just also need the money. Also, I have a grooms cake due the end of the month that is paid for, so I can't let her down. My luck I'll end up having to refund that, too.

I think it would be really interesting to serve, and I agree that it is my civic duty. Just basically wondering how in the heck I'm supposed to handle this.

I guess I'll just tell her up front that I might be called. Too bad...it was an interesting cake for me...something I haven't gotten to do yet.

I doubt it will be some kind of extensively long trial....but it would be just my luck.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:22pm
post #33 of 44

They do let you out for employment reasons sometimes. I was called twice in my early twenties and both times, I wrote down that I was a substitute teacher who lived on her own and could barely pay rent + food as it is, and if I had to give up subbing jobs I would absolutely lose my place to live. It was a true statement, and both times they let me out of it. I would have been fine with doing it if I would have been able to afford giving several days of work.. with subbing, you either made your $110 (at that time) per day or not.

If they called me to come now, I don't see how I could do it either. I have two kids under 5 and no friends or relatives who don't work who could watch them. What exactly are you supposed to do in that case?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:01pm
post #34 of 44

Coming from someone who's worked in the legal industry for a long time...

Jury duty is a real crap shoot. Just because you have to call in, you may never get picked for anything. Cases settle, get extended, etc, and you never know what might happen. As Jason stated, sequestered trials are EXTREMELY rare. They usually involve really high profile cases, not your average trial. In all my years, I've never had a case I worked on have a sequestered trial. I worked on a high profile Wall Street case a few years ago, and even those people weren't sequestered.

It's true, however, that some trials are very long, but at least you get to go home every night. That said, if there truly is no one else to get the kids to school, or if after care is an issue, most likely, you would not have to serve on the jury. People like me, who have no kids and a stable job, who have a hard time not being on a jury (That said, I have never tried to shirk my duty. I did, however, get it postponed once due to a pre-paid vacation.)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:02am
post #35 of 44

I was on the Grand Jury once which is a year long commitment, fortunately they didn't have a case the entire year. But if they did I would have had to serve on each and every one of them.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:55pm
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I was on the Grand Jury once which is a year long commitment, fortunately they didn't have a case the entire year. But if they did I would have had to serve on each and every one of them.

The Grand Jury where I live doesn't hear trials. You hear the prosecutions side of the case and vote if you thought they had enough evidence to go to trial. If it was a complicated case we might only vote on 1 or 2 cases a day. But some days we would do welfare cases and would hear 25 - 30 cases a day. You had to go EVERY day for 3 or 4 months. I can't remember for sure as it was a long time ago. It was the same time the OJ trial was going on. I would hear cases all day and then watch trial coverage all evening while I groomed dogs. The judge wouldn't let off just because I had my own business and couldn't afford to NOT work for 3 or 4 months.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:04pm
post #37 of 44

That's not how it worked in IA

karateka Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm
post #38 of 44

I told her that I was going to have to call in for jury duty and may be called or may not. She responded and the reply sounded odd....

almost like it was being translated into English, not so much as someone naturally speaks. She says she will pay me by check which will be sent by UPS. I can't quote it here, because I'm at work....will be able to copy and paste once I get home. But it sounds very odd. I wonder if it is even legit?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:52am
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarplumStudio

You can request a postponement. If it isn't granted, I would tell the bride that you may not be able to do the cake if you are called, then it is up to her. You can protect yourself if your contract.

I have the unpopular opinion that you should not try to "get out" of jury duty, no matter what. Part of living in a democracy is the right to be tried by a jury of your peers. You can't live under the blanket of rights afforded by the US Constitution then refuse to abide by them.

The first time I was summoned, I was made to use my own personal time at work.
The second time, I received a summons the day after giving birth to my son. I requested a postponement and was given a 4 month reprieve. Still out of my job on maternity leave, I arranged for child care and reported. I was excused both times after the questioning, but would have served had I been chosen.
FWIW, I have to report in CAMDEN NJ. Maybe you remember that it was ranked as the country's most violent city a couple of years ago?

Also, just for the record, it did not sound to me like OP was trying to get out it. I was just surprised by the number or posters who encouraged trying to get around serving.

The USA is actually a Republic, not a Democracy.

Whatever happened, Stacy? Was it legit? FWIW, if you ever had an emergency like that, I would be your wing-man!

karateka Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:01am
post #40 of 44

Thanks, Anna! And vice versa...if I can ever help you out, let me know.

I referred her out. I wasn't sure how this would work if I was called, and the way she was talking via the emails, I started to wonder if it was legit anyway. Could have just been a language issue, but I figured with all that was going on it was best to refer out.

I haven't been selected.....yet. Still have the rest of the week to call in.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:56pm
post #41 of 44

No telling with some people icon_confused.gif

We buy stuff on Craigslist all the time and we deal with such weirdos...I would rather pay more for less with someone "normal" than get a sweet deal with some whack-job that I don't understand what is going on until the money exchanges hands. I actually do it quite often icon_rolleyes.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #42 of 44

I was called up for grand jury for 3 months, and I did ask to be excused and explained that I'm a one woman business and had weddings and other orders lined up for the period they wanted me. They told me I couldn't be excused, but if I gave them a list of the dates I couldn't serve, they would see to it that I would get those days off if they did have a trial. Not sure how that works if one of the jurors is missing for a day, but I was ok with it as long as I didn't have to pull all nighters to get my weddings done. I ended up serving Oct-Dec, and never did get called to go in. Judges and lawyers must not like to schedule trials during the holidays. icon_smile.gif I'm not saying to go and fill your schedule so you can get out of it, but they do understand if you have prior commitments.

karateka Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:15pm
post #43 of 44

Last day to call in was yesterday. Never had to serve.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:30pm
post #44 of 44

If you have already had an excuse you probably won't get let go this time. I was going to say show that it is a hardship on your family (transportation, money etc) to serve at this time, but it may not work since you already were excused.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%