Rice Crispy Treats - Make Or Buy

Decorating By cookiedoescakes Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 1:51am by cookiedoescakes

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:09am
post #1 of 13

Please tell me if you use ready made rice crispy treats or if its better to make your own.

12 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:33am
post #2 of 13

I don't use them, but I would think it would be way cheaper to make them.

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:33am
post #3 of 13

I don't think that there is a correct answer here. I think it is cheaper to make since you can use off brand rice krispies and off brand marshmellows. But it would be just looking into that. I make mine, but it is also hard to find them in the BIG packages making it easier to just make big batches. Hope it helps.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:16am
post #4 of 13

I have done both, but I find that the ones I make are too dense and heavy--and the point of RKT is lightness. I think the made ones are stickier and stronger without being as compressed ( maybe I'm just not good at making them!) I buy the big boxes at Costco (two or more when they ar on coupon) and keep them hidden sobi have them for cake.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:27am
post #5 of 13

I get the store bought individualy wrapped ones. they are perfect in a pinch and generally just enough. I can imagine trying to make a small enough amount to not waste a bunch. Another benefit is that the rest of the package will last a loooong time

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:45am
post #6 of 13

We make our own...many of our orders are vegan or gluten-free, and ready-made rice krispies treats are neither vegan nor gluten-free.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:18am
post #8 of 13

i make my own, i think its easier to get into funky shapes when they're a little warm lol! plus i grind the cereal up a bit before making the treats to get it a little less lumpy icon_biggrin.gif

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:37am
post #9 of 13

I use both. I used modeling chocolate to cover them the last time I used them boy was that easy to work with I will never use butter cream on rkt ever again. It made it very smooth.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 13

I make my own. The store made ones have transfat in them.

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 13

I make my own- I get the gig off-brand bag of cereal at Wal Mart and use the BIG marshmallows. I add butter to the recipe if the items are going to be eaten as the butter makes the rkt's softer and tastier. If I want a really hard structure I leave the butter out. I crush the cereal if I need it to be smoother.

But- I am going to try the modeling choc. over it next time! I don't like the "gooshiness"when you smooth fondant over the BC. The hard choc. might help.....

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 13

I've used both and they have both worked good for me. I've only used the store bought when I had a small item to make.

I also use less butter and run the cereal through my food processer a bit. If they get to hard to work with, all you have to do is microwave them for a few seconds to soften them up.

But the biggest tip I can give, as others have said, use chocolate or candy melts to cover the RKT before applying fondant. You can get it very smooth and it make the structure very strong and durable. Just make sure you dampen or mist the surface with water or syrup before applying the fondant so it will stick.

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:51am
post #13 of 13

Thank you all so much. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%