Cake Pricing Question

Decorating By Cloud_9_Cakes Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 5:23am by cake_architect

Cloud_9_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cloud_9_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:10am
post #1 of 9

I need some help from some of you who have been doing cakes a bit longer than me. I had done a cake as a favor for someone and because of how much people liked that one they are now asking me for cakes. Problem is that I have no idea what to charge people. I know I have to consider ingredients and labor. But just need a little guidance if someone can help.

These are the pics the woman sent me for what she kind of wants. I was thinking about $55-60 for the Communion Cake (she is providing the topper), but the Mario Brothers cake I am worried I might be charging too much if I tell her $75-85. But its a lot of work cutting out all the fondant.

A little more just to help...two tiers for both, 12" & 8" for the sizes, chocolate for one cake and red velvet for the flavors (so nothing too crazy). Any idea on price estimates??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61915589@N03/

8 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:21am
post #2 of 9

It depends on where you live - I charge $5 per serving for cakes that people are paying $8-12 per serving in LA and Vegas, or paying $3 per serving for in Alabama.

So do some research: Call or look at web pages of bakeries in your town and price comparably, being absolutley honest with yourself about your level of experience/quality of cake.

More importantly, do not undercut yourself. It's much easier to charge now what you are hoping to get then to increase your prices later. The people who can afford your cakes will return and spread the word if you are immaculate about taste and design. If someone cancels because you are too high, you have to learn to brush it off and be patient for those who know your worth.

A long time ago someone had a great example comparing a Costco/WalMart cake to a custom cake... You wouldn't walk into Mercedes dealership expecting the price of a Volkswagon.

Cloud_9_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:32am
post #3 of 9

I definitely don't want to undercut myself. For whatever reason the pictures didn't attach so I just posted them in my album so that at least anyone who responded could get an idea of what I was looking at. But thanks for the advice. I know I have it down when it comes to taste, and I have surprised myself with what I am able to do when it comes to decorating. For the Yo Gabba Gabba cake I charged $85 for the half sheet and the woman told me I should have charged way more. Problem is I dont know everyone else will agree...this has got to be the hardest part of doing cakes!!

sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:48am
post #4 of 9

I dont know if this helps but since im new im only charging $2 a slice and If they want extras like fresh fruit or fondant ect. then i charge a little extra

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:20am
post #5 of 9

I totally agree with the advice you are getting. I'm fairly new to cake decorationg and pricing is a big issue for me as well. I did the research as suggested and found that custom cakes are about $4 or $5/slice in my area and some bakeries have a minimum $100 order requirement so I'm pricing myself between the store bakeries and those stablished custom cake bakeries and have had a good response so far. Good luck!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_9_Cakes

For whatever reason the pictures didn't attach so I just posted them in my album so that at least anyone who responded could get an idea of what I was looking at.

You aren't allowed to post cakes, etc. in your gallery that you didn't make.

Since the attachment to post feature isn't currently working, you can add a link to the photo of the cake you need help pricing. icon_smile.gif

Cloud_9_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #7 of 9

Oops...I didn't realize I couldnt post them in my gallery. All deleted now...and I put them on a flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61915589@N03/

Mom_of_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_of_one Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:42am
post #8 of 9

I'm newer as well. I started out charging $2.50/slice(fondant) because I wanted the experience and now charge $3.5/slice with a minimum of $65. A 12" and 8" feeds about 60 people. You're only charging $.91-$1.33/slice. But if you are looking to get some cakes under your belt, then sometimes you have to short change yourself. HTH

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:23am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_one

But if you are looking to get some cakes under your belt, then sometimes you have to short change yourself.

This is true, but you have to be really careful about this! If you purposely 'shortchange' yourself, word will get around that you make cakes for super cheap and then everyone will expect to pay these prices. When you finally decide you want to start making money on your cakes, you'll have to find a new customer base willing to pay the higher prices since your old customer base was so used to paying close to nothing. Just be careful, value your time and talent, and price comparable to other bakeries in your area icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%