Smooth Buttercream Icing

Baking By Nikki1083 Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 8:02pm by Nikki1083

Nikki1083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki1083 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

How do I get my buttercream icing to be very smooth? I'm getting ready to do a buttercream wedding cake please help!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 7

Well I find it all depends on the icing recipe...I use WBH which is a soft whipped bakery icing that does not crust and I just use a flat spatula and spin the turntable..But others have a hard time with harder crusting BC recipes so it depends on what you are using.

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 7

look for sugarshack's recipe/video on you tube!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 7

While mixing, the beater blade needs to be completely covered to the top or else you'll incorporate air. To get a cake iced smoothly, it helps to have smooth, non-airy icing to begin with.

Nikki1083 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

While mixing, the beater blade needs to be completely covered to the top or else you'll incorporate air. To get a cake iced smoothly, it helps to have smooth, non-airy icing to begin with.

The recipe I use is 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of veg shortening, 6tbls milk i think, 4 cups of powder sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla

batterupcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batterupcakery Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 7

Here's the only recipe I use. I have tried several others & LOVE this one. It's quick & simple. It also smooths down perfectly like fondant using Viva paper towels. If you don't need that much icing, just half the recipe. I use so much of it at a time that i always make it like I have below.

3 cups shortening
10 tbls. Heavy Whipping Cream
6 tbls. Half & Half
2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring
2 tsp. Butter Flavoring
1/2 tsp. salt
4 lbs. powdered sugar

Cream shortening. Mix liquid ingredients & salt together then beat into shortening. *Be sure & place a towel over your mixer & start mixing slowly* Add sugar one bag at a time & mix well.

Nikki1083 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterupcakery

Here's the only recipe I use. I have tried several others & LOVE this one. It's quick & simple. It also smooths down perfectly like fondant using Viva paper towels. If you don't need that much icing, just half the recipe. I use so much of it at a time that i always make it like I have below.

3 cups shortening
10 tbls. Heavy Whipping Cream
6 tbls. Half & Half
2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring
2 tsp. Butter Flavoring
1/2 tsp. salt
4 lbs. powdered sugar

Cream shortening. Mix liquid ingredients & salt together then beat into shortening. *Be sure & place a towel over your mixer & start mixing slowly* Add sugar one bag at a time & mix well.

Thank you going to try this one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%