Back Is Killing Me

Decorating By VentureSister Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:53pm by Kiwi-whisk

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:46am
post #1 of 14

How do you keep your back from killing you when you are decorating? Even with comfy shoes, almost every time I do a cake my back hurts by the time I am done. Any suggestions on keepingnthis from happening?

13 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #2 of 14

I have the same problem and have a swivel counter height chair that I try to use when doing certain decorating chores.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:57am
post #3 of 14

I made my husband bring home one of those rubber mats to stand on and I have a stool tall enough to let me sit at the counter for anything I can.

VentureSister Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:25am
post #4 of 14

Thanks. I think maybe a tall stool might help.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:33am
post #5 of 14

GelPro gel mats and prescription innersoles in your shoes. I can work all day with a fractured vertebrae injury (5 yrs ago). My husband is a doctor. The mat and the innersoles are preventive maintenance.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:44am
post #6 of 14

Open a cupboard door and rest one foot on the shelf, it takes the weight off the lower back.
I also have a gel mat and I wear my "Skecher shape ups" they are the most comfy shoe Ive ever owned better than barefoot. Sit whenever possible.

VentureSister Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:54am
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all the good advice. Will look into all of these. I don't know how everyone that does this full time. It is hard on the body. Can't even imagine doing this with vertabrae problems. More power to you for that.
Thanks again everyone. Am going to check out the mats asap.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 14

Good shoes, gel mat for the floor, comfortable chair/stool, and making sure to take brief rest periods on a regular basis (get up an move around)

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 14

me too.. it really hurts... very hard for me to move 'coz it really hurts...is that because of the kneading and standing for very long time? icon_sad.gif

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 14

Since I dont decorate full time the gel mats were a bit pricy for me to justify. I run a double layer strip of interlocking foam mats along the length of the counter I use for decorating. Aside from being cost effective they are easy to clean, disassemble and store when not in use. I have also found that wearing Crocs while decorating has made a big difference which is a huge relief with three bulging lumbar disks.

VentureSister Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 14

I "borrowed" my boyfriend's crocs last night while baking and OH what a difference. My back didn't hurt near as bad as normal. I am finally going to have to buy a pair.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 14

I've had both back and foot surgeries, and my prescription orthotics are worth their weight in gold! All these tips are useful and worth trying! But also don't forget to take frequent short breaks.....do a little stretching and walking around. I like to climb the stairs a few times--it gets the blood flowing and relieves stress on the back. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 14

Sangria, my prescription inserts are the best investment. I don't think I could do without them. And mine were preventive maintenance.

Kiwi-whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi-whisk Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:53pm
post #14 of 14

Try yoga, it is fantastic for strenghtining your core muscles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%