Mmf Figures - Is It Possible?

Decorating By unixboymd Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 10:46pm by Price

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 5

I love the taste of MMF. But I find making it a bit tedious since I can just go to my local "cake" store and buy ready made Pettinice fondant.

I will be making a Winnie the Pooh themed cake at the end of the month for a boys 1st birthday. The cake will be shaped like a "hunny" pot with a small Pooh sitting on top.

I was wondering if anyone had ever used MMF to make figures.

If you have was it successful? What problems did you have? Was it different than using commercial ready made fondant? Was it more difficult to create figures, better, or about the same? Is it even possible to use MMF to make figures?

Any advice, tips, tricks would be much appreciated.

4 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1991621

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1869426

I only use MMF because I make a lot of kid cakes and they want to eat everything. Here are some of my MMF figures. Overall I was happy with them. Hope this helps

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 5

seedrv, What MMF recipe do you use? Do you add tylose or anything to it?

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 5

I use a basic MMF recipe thats 8 oz marshmallows, 2 TBS water and 3 ½ - 4 cups powdered sugar (it usually doesnt take the full 4 cups). If I need to make figures, I make the MMF a little on the dry side. I make sure I have at least a weeks notice so they will have time to dry out. I havent used tylose, yet anyway.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 5

When I first started modeling with fondant I used MMF. I now use Satin Ice fondant with a little tylose powder added. If Im making small figures that I know will be eaten I use the straight fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%