I'm New And Need Some Help!!!

Decorating By Nikki0714 Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 1:39am by tokazodo

Nikki0714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki0714 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:37am
post #1 of 11

Im kinda new to cake decorating. I am wanting to grow and start to use new techniques and ideas. however im controled by my fear that i cant do it that well. i have some pics that i want to put on here of cakes that ive decorated in the past, however my comp wont let me. i want to start to incorportate fondant into my cakes and even learn how to make gumpaste flowers and other unique traits as well. If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know, all input would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:59am
post #2 of 11

Don't be afraid, we learn the most from our mistakes. I learned nearly everything I know via tutorials and forums here at CC. Don't be afraid to try things a different way - occasionally I'll come across something and wonder why certain steps need to be taken, I love finding out that sometimes shortcuts work just fine.

Experiment, play, have fun. The more you do, the better you'll get.

Nikki0714 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 11

Thank u for replying i have experimented with other things just not fondant yet. ive been watching some of the tutorials that have been added to the forum and they have been awesome. i plan on trying some of them in the near future and putting pics of them on here afterwards.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 11

I was obssessed when I first started doing cakes. I took the Wilton classes but after that I would make up a batch of white buttercream and sit at the table and practice piping on my glass cutting board. I also went out and bought a small box of fondant and would play with it like it was playdough. I'd roll it out and cover the back of greased pans then peal it off and try ribbon roses, or cutting it with cookie cutters or molding animals. It cost about $5 and when it got too tough I just tossed it. If you think about it, it's just like kindergarten all over again. Have fun and play.

vgereis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgereis Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 11

Hiya Nikki!

Welcome to cc! I am also a newbie so just wanted to say hello and to agree with the others... Only way to get better is to just practice and try new things! I haven't made many cakes really but each time i learn something new! My very first cake was one using the Wilton 3d train mould and then just piping bc to decorate it. Second one was a 2 tier (sort of) where I put a lightning McQueen moulded cake on top of a large rectangular one... Both iced with bc and used different techniques of piping etc... Then came my jump into the world of fondant... And boy was it scary! Didn't help that it was a cake for a friend's hubby's bday... Was a carved cake (first time ever for me) ... And was to look like one of his running shoes!!! Found myself almost in tears at 11pm not knowing quite what to do with the fondant but a dear friend who's got her own business gave me some tips... And I managed not only to make it all... But also have it come out pretty ok! (at least everyone else was impressed even if I saw the flaws! Hehe). Next cake was simpler in shape/decoration but due to a delivery not coming on time, I was forced to try making/using mmf! Hehe! So as you can see... Each cake is a learning experience!

Actually now i came onto cc to ask about making flowers for a cake I will make for my mom's bday next week! But saw your post and wanted to reply seeing as you're a newbie like me! Hope to be able to see your cakes on here soon!

Good luck!

Vicky

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 11

Google and youtube will become your best friends. There are so many videos out there that will help you. Just google sugar__ flowers and all sorts of information and videos come up. I hope this helps, good luck, and welcome to CakeCentral! icon_smile.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 11

Welcome Nikki. I agree with Cupcake_cutie (like the name btw lol).. Google & youtube all the way! When I first started out, I sat in front of my PC each day like it was a desk at school and absorbed so much.. it really is like doing an online course icon_wink.gif Make yourself up a batch of MMF and start playing.. maybe buy yourself a decent sized dummy cake so as you can practice covering with fondant and applying your decorations so as you can get a feel to it. Gain confidence with the first main steps (leveling, filling, crumbing & covering) by baking up a few packet mix cakes. When you finally feel confident enough you may want to jump at the chance to make family and friend's their special event cakes, just ask for them to buy the ingredients for you so you are not out of pocket in that respect - man 0' man this is a neat hobby, but wow is it expensive lol??!!!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:10am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Don't be afraid, we learn the most from our mistakes. I learned nearly everything I know via tutorials and forums here at CC. Don't be afraid to try things a different way - occasionally I'll come across something and wonder why certain steps need to be taken, I love finding out that sometimes shortcuts work just fine.

Experiment, play, have fun. The more you do, the better you'll get.

I too learned by tutorial and you tube and CC because everyone here gives thier opinions if you ask and be cafeful what you ask lol may not be what your looking for but all are very happy to help. Have fun and just practise

Nikki0714 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you all for ur input and opinions they have helped all ready. i do make store bought boxed cakes for my bestfreinds kids bday but i want to expand making better cakes for them as they are getting older and my husband wants me to start making pastry's for his work now. we have to do some tinkering with out computer to get it to let me add my pics but i will definately be adding some hopefully in the next few days! i am also looking for someone in my area to possibly want to meet up and practice/play around with some cakes and baking. and hopefully learn some more tips as well. let me know if you have any ideas about that as well i live near springfield, IL. Thanks again for all of ur advice. icon_smile.gif

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:16am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki0714

Thank u for replying i have experimented with other things just not fondant yet. ive been watching some of the tutorials that have been added to the forum and they have been awesome. i plan on trying some of them in the near future and putting pics of them on here afterwards.

Here is something to think about, You could take the cake decorating classes. I did where i live at and i probably put into it about $500 but it is so worth it. I learned a lot and now i am on my way. I am good but i need to get better and the best way to do that is to practice and make cakes for people

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:39am
post #11 of 11

Welcome to CC. I was comfortable with my buttercream skills, but for some reason I got real nervous about fondant until someone from cc said, "What's the worse that could happen? If you put the fondant on the cake, strip it off, mush it together and start over again."
It's what I needed to hear at the time.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and if you see something special you like don't be afraid to private message them for help. There are many great cake designers here and many of them are very helpful too!
Good Luck to you!
tokazodo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%