Could I Bake A Cake In A Pyrex Bowl?

Baking By ctinaw Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 4:44am by bakingkat

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 13

I need a dome shape for the top of a burger cake and am wondering if I could just bake it in a pyrex bowl? I really don't care to run out and buy another pan I will never use again. Thanks!

12 replies
Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 13

Usage Instructions
Pyrex® Glassware can be used for cooking, baking, warming and reheating food in microwave ovens and preheated conventional or convection ovens.

All it says is to always preheat the oven before putting into oven which you would do anyway icon_confused.gif

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 13

LEt me know how it goes. Cause I was about to go buy a rounded pan to make a baseball hat.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 13

I use pyrex baking dishes all the time to bake chicken or whatnot, don't see how a bowl would be different so is say its ok.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 13

i've baked in one before. i baked at 325 instead of 350 and baked for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer came out clean.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 13

I've done this before also - no problems at all. I always bake at 300 instead of 350.

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 13

I used it to make a half basketball shaped cake and had no problems at all. I believe I baked at 325. I just made sure to grease and flour the bowl really well.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 13

Absolutely!! icon_biggrin.gif I use my pyrex mixing bowl to make my baby belly cakes all the time.

Sarahdee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahdee2007 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 13

I am so glad you thought of this, I was also about to go buy a dome pan for a baby belly cake! I have tons of pyrex bowls so this is awesome!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 13

wow thanks everyone! I learn something new everyday here

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:09am
post #11 of 13

OH good! Thanks everyone! This saves me some money and time then!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:28am
post #12 of 13

I too have used my Pyrex bowl to bake a cake in. However I did have one experience melting chocolate using a Pyrex bowl in the microwave and when I took the bowl out of the microwave and set it on my granite counter top it exploded on me (fortunately no injuries) - so caution is place the baked cake on a cooling rack and not on a cold counter top when you first take it out of the oven.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 4:44am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

I too have used my Pyrex bowl to bake a cake in. However I did have one experience melting chocolate using a Pyrex bowl in the microwave and when I took the bowl out of the microwave and set it on my granite counter top it exploded on me (fortunately no injuries) - so caution is place the baked cake on a cooling rack and not on a cold counter top when you first take it out of the oven.

This happened when I was a child too. My dad made home-made biscuits to go with our dinner every night (that is until I took over the baking when I was like 9-10) and one night he set it down on the table where some ice water must've dripped and it exploded all over our dinner, chicken, mashed potatoes, the works! Of course I was happy because it was lots of excitement and it meant we got to go out to good ol' fast food instead. Aww the mind of a child. Anyways, by all means bake in a pyrex, just make sure to set it on a towel or something temperature neutral, definately stay away from setting it on anything potentially cold. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%