Customers Expecting Walmart Prices

Decorating By amberc727 Updated 5 Jul 2013 , 1:11am by BatterUpCake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:34pm
post #61 of 73

I don't know what it is about these donation things....I remember when I first started out (didn't know anything about licensing, and wasn't living here) somebody got my name from a friend of a friend and wanted me to make like 100 cupcakes for some sort of children's thing.

I was so unsure as to what to charge, I think I was going to ask maybe $1/each or something. (At the time I was charging friends $20 for an 11x15 sheet cake custom decorated to match party plates, stuff like that).

The lady was like....*Gasp*...But its for CHILDREN!!!! Special needs CHILDREN!!!! I just said "I'm sorry but I cannot afford to charge less....." (Can you see it now...price list: Brides $5/serving. Kids $2/serving Special needs or special donations FREE, ask away.

Right.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:03pm
post #62 of 73

Oh Kitagrl, I know your pain!! What I hate is that the people that ask for donations are NEVER my customers. If one of my good customers wanted a donation, you can BET I'd make one. It would be MY choice as to what it was of course. But, that's never how it happens. I've had people buy cakes from me to donate to a cause, and I will even give them a little discount sometimes.

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:54pm
post #63 of 73

Their classic line of "This will be such great advertising for you - it's the way to get your name out in front of people," makes me grind my teeth and think things I'd never say! tapedshut.gif In case they haven't noticed, my name is pretty much out there, and anyway, I've never received business back from donations - sometimes not even a thank you!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 10:04pm
post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerAnn

Their classic line of "This will be such great advertising for you - it's the way to get your name out in front of people," makes me grind my teeth and think things I'd never say! tapedshut.gif In case they haven't noticed, my name is pretty much out there, and anyway, I've never received business back from donations - sometimes not even a thank you!

Hahaha I fell for that one several times at the beginning....!!!!

99% of the time, people have no clue who brought the great cake...they just like the free food!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:22am
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerAnn

People! icon_eek.gif

one of my favorite Seinfeld lines:

"People ..... they're the WORST!!!" icon_lol.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:14am
post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

HAHA, Awesome! I love Seinfeld. icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:18am
post #67 of 73

I always remind friends that I am not looking for more business when asked for a donation. I will donate to a cause I wish to support, but I cherish any free time for myself I can get my hands on (which is very rare!).

Also, to sound like a broken record since I've said this over the years everytime I see a post of this manner, is that people don't walk into a Mercedes dealership hoping to get Volkswagon prices.

A custom cake is designed for you - not chosen from a catalog. You consult to make sure you are creating exactly what they want. The cake is usually the center of the party, for crying out loud. The guest of honor is usually thrilled that people are ooohing and aahing over their special cake: A cake that, in my experience, was designed as a surprise for them.

Frankly, I'd much rather wait for the customers who know the value of a custom cake and don't mind paying the price.

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:13am
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I always remind friends that I am not looking for more business when asked for a donation. I will donate to a cause I wish to support, but I cherish any free time for myself I can get my hands on (which is very rare!).

Also, to sound like a broken record since I've said this over the years everytime I see a post of this manner, is that people don't walk into a Mercedes dealership hoping to get Volkswagon prices.

A custom cake is designed for you - not chosen from a catalog. You consult to make sure you are creating exactly what they want. The cake is usually the center of the party, for crying out loud. The guest of honor is usually thrilled that people are ooohing and aahing over their special cake: A cake that, in my experience, was designed as a surprise for them.

Frankly, I'd much rather wait for the customers who know the value of a custom cake and don't mind paying the price.

AMEN! thumbs_up.gif

KelliAnn77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelliAnn77 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 1:40am
post #69 of 73

AWow! I wish some of you were in Georgia. These prices are fantastic! I couldn't find anyone under $150 to make my son's 2 tier Last Airbender cake. No fondant characters, either. I bought those. I couldn't swing it...so I'm attempting it on my own. I have no idea where to begin!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 12:43am
post #70 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3d33 

This is why they need to put pricing on TV!!!! Everyone see the cakes on cake boss, fabulous cakes, ace of cakes ect and thinks...."I want that" BUT if they knew how much "THAT" cost, maybe they would have more realistic expectations!

I had a FB friend message me today to ask me if fondant was supposed to taste like cardboard or if the baker did something wrong. He then went on to tell me his daughter just got married and had a consult with the bakery in Cake Boss. When his wife and daughter called from the bakery with the $7000 price tag he went through the roof (old retired Marine so you can imagine the scene in your head) So she went with COSTCO for $1000. (I thought they only offered cakes from a book like Walmart) anyhow he said the cake was good, the raspberry cream filling was good but the fondant made the whole thing inedible. This dude ate MRE's in a field for 30 years so his idea of good is questionable and if he says something is inedible that says a lot. I told him I was just eating balls of my fondant this morning and thinking how good it was and that he was lucky that he found any of the cake good. I understand someone not having a $7000 cake budget, but to go from that to Costco? Cwazy (as my grandbaby would say)

BatterUpCake Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 12:45am
post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi 

OMG...never heard it on Seinfeld but when I heard a friend of mine say that a few months ago at my son'd birthday party I almost peed myself. Of course the vodka could have had something to do with that (btw m son was turning 28 so I wasn't drinking at a toddlers party!)

BatterUpCake Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:03am
post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzunique 

I definitely know how you feel! This just happened to me when I made my friend a very detailed flower pot cake for her mother's birthday. I charged her cost and made that very clear to her. I'm also unemployed and it took me 25 hours to make as I'm a newbie. Since I've known her over 10 years, I really thought she'd throw me a few dollars extra for the awesome cake I made for her, and she didn't give me a dime more. It's honestly not about the money, it's about the appreciation, and I certainly didn't see that from her! Live and learn! icon_eek.gif[img][/img]

You can't blame someone for paying you what you quoted them....

BatterUpCake Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:11am
post #73 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl 

I don't know what it is about these donation things....I remember when I first started out (didn't know anything about licensing, and wasn't living here) somebody got my name from a friend of a friend and wanted me to make like 100 cupcakes for some sort of children's thing.

I was so unsure as to what to charge, I think I was going to ask maybe $1/each or something. (At the time I was charging friends $20 for an 11x15 sheet cake custom decorated to match party plates, stuff like that).

The lady was like....*Gasp*...But its for CHILDREN!!!! Special needs CHILDREN!!!! I just said "I'm sorry but I cannot afford to charge less....." (Can you see it now...price list: Brides $5/serving. Kids $2/serving Special needs or special donations FREE, ask away.

Right.

Actually my business is putting on an event for the National Breast Cancer Research Foundation in Oct. I am spending my own money and other businesses are joining in to help. All of the money can be written off, my cakes will be tasted by many people, and my name gets out there not only as a fabulous baker but a philanthropist as well plus I get to help a wonderful cause. I can't see a better way to spend advertising $$...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%