"cake Board Decorating For Dummies"

Decorating By Nwbi Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 7:45pm by Coral3

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 7

I need help with covering round cake boards with wrapping paper. Do you cut the paper a little larger than the cake board? How do you get it to wrap smoothly around the board? Do you tape it to the other side? I can't get the outer edge smooth; it is crinkly.
Than do you stretch plastic wrap over the finished product? Is it taped on the back? I need detailed instructions.
My husband cut cardboard rounds for me out of a very large piece of brown cardboard. He cut 3 and taped them together. I like the thickness because it is just right for attaching a ribbon around the outer edge. Now I need to figure out how to cover them. If the edges are crinkly, the ribbon is crinkly. Please advise.

6 replies
KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 7

Cut a circle that is a about two inches bigger depending on the thickness of the board. Then cut slits in the paper, that go from the edge of the paper to the edge of the board. It's much easier to wrap round objects when you cut slits. Then I usually just scotch tape each piece smoothing as I go, and after they are all done, I go back and use a heavier tape, like packing tape to make sure it's all secure.
I'm not sure that would work for saran wrap. I usually use cellophane. You could probably get the saran to cooperate if you do it in a few passes.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 7

Also, after I cover mine with wrapping paper, fabric, whatever, I cover it with contact paper. I then place a plain cake board on top of that so the cake doesn't actually cover the contact paper.

Another thing- white freezer paper with the shiny side out makes a great cover.

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 7

I don't understand. So why use wrapping paper if you cover it with contact paper?

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieK

I don't understand. So why use wrapping paper if you cover it with contact paper?

Wrapping paper is not necessarily food safe. So some people cover in paper or fabric, then cover that in clear contact.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%