Cleaning....vent!

Decorating By Cakes-and-bakes Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 12:24am by CAC74

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:02pm
post #31 of 40

Hi again, Katiebelle74. I don't put the plastic tablecloth on the floor, you'll never get a cake done with a broken leg added to the mix! icon_biggrin.gif I use them to throw over the work table, kitchen table and sometime the dining room table, with my tablecloth still on it. Then when I am done, I just throw it away and my table is still good to go!

You are right about the size, most of the time I can cut it in half.

However, you did spark an idea about the floor in front of the mixer, I could get a roll of brown runner from Lowe's and tape a piece down in front of the mixer (so it doesn't slip) and just toss when I am done!!!

MBHazel Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:03pm
post #32 of 40

Hi again, Katiebelle74. I don't put the plastic tablecloth on the floor, you'll never get a cake done with a broken leg added to the mix! icon_biggrin.gif I use them to throw over the work table, kitchen table and sometime the dining room table, with my tablecloth still on it. Then when I am done, I just throw it away and my table is still good to go!

However, you did spark an idea about the floor in front of the mixer, I could get a roll of brown runner from Lowe's and tape a piece down in front of the mixer (so it doesn't slip) and just toss when I am done!!!

MBHazel Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #33 of 40

MBHazel Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:14pm
post #34 of 40

Drats, I have never had this happen before. I got some crazy error message and now my post is here 4 times. How do you delete them??

UPDATE: HMMMM there is no X at the edit /delete key. Very strange.

So sorry for the extra posts.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm
post #35 of 40

AS for the mixer and the sugar, I do two things.

One, I dampen a kitchen towel and drape it over the top of the machine down just past the top of the bowl.

Or, use Saran Wrap and wrap it around the top of the bowl before mixing. I saw someone do this on You Tube. Sorry, I don't remember who, but I thought it was genius.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:33am
post #36 of 40

The wet towel on the ka makes such a huge difference. I had done a towel over the ka before and saran wrap many times, especially when making RI but the wet towel is way better. made cleaning up today much easier. I kept the swiffer wet within arms reach the entire time and that helped tremendously too!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #37 of 40

I wish I had bought a KA with a pour spout instead of just a basic classic - I remember I once forgot to twist the bowl onto the platform when making buttercream and had icing sugar everywhere!!!! Gawd I was so ticked off at myselficon_smile.gif But the tip about the saran wrap/wet towel are both good and the tip I received about the Walmart plastic to place on top of the table was a lifesaver. I was actually using that useless Wilton mat for rolling fondant until I found the thick gauge plastic sheeting - what a fantastic tipicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:58pm
post #38 of 40

I have a 12 year old girl who's the daughter of a friend of mine come in and clean the caking kitchen. I trained her, she's good! She does it in exchange for baking lessons. It's extremely helpful!

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:33pm
post #39 of 40

I love Indydeb's ideas on preventing the mess to start with. I bought wax paper from Costco in precut sheets 500 to a box (2 boxes to a pack) a box now sits on my microwave in the house kitchen and a box sits on the microwave in the bakery. No excuses for splatter in my microwaves by anyone! plus I just grab a sheet to lay on the counter for the sticky spoons and spatulas. This round of cake decorating is going much more smoothly.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:24am
post #40 of 40

Ahhhhh, I'm reading this post as I'm sitting in my chair with my laptop taking a rest. I just make two batches of WASC and have a sheet in the oven, 2- 8 in rounds, and a pyrex bowl for a belly cake ready to roll. I also just made two batches of Indydebi's Buttercream. I wish I could show you all my kitchen, it's a DISASTER!!! icon_cry.gif I should have read this post BEFORE I started cooking today. thumbsdown.gif Not to mention, I had a 2 year old and 4 year old boys running around like mad while I did all of this. So basically, my whole house looks like a tornado has just passed through. Welp, time to get off the computer and get to cleaning!! Thanks for the helpful tips, I'll be using them NEXT time. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%