Want To Try But Not Sure What To Do. Help!

Decorating By medusas_touch Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 10:09pm by Crazboutcakes

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #1 of 6

So over the last month or so my daughter has become obsessed with Count Von Count from Sesame St. Long story short I want to try to make a 3D cake for her birthday in a month and I'm not sure whether to carve the head out of cake (which I've never really tried before) or make it entirely out of RKT and just layer cake underneath it. If I was to carve cake would I be better off using a soccer ball mould or two pudding steamers put together? Every pic I've seen he seems to have a slightly oval head. Its either that or I just go the easy way and make it 2D but I'm up for the challenge...

I'm not sure if I'm getting in over my head here and would love any advise that could make my life easier either way.

TIA.

5 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #2 of 6

I think if I had to do the count I would deffinatly do RKT for his head, much easier to sculped and and to put fondant on, it would be lighter than cake too. jus my opinoin

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

RKT. It will be lighter, easier to sculpt, as Crazboutcakes says.

Then modeling chocolate to smooth it out before putting fondant on.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/toy-story-cake-and-cupcakes.html

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:24am
post #4 of 6

That Count is a scary guy! I remember when I was 3 years old, i was sitting on the floor in front of the tv watching Sesame Street before bed. It was dark out and there was a thunder storm with thunder and lightning. The Count came on and that creepy music was playing and he did his 'ah ha ha, I am de Count!" i freaked out. I still sometimes have nightmares about him. You have a brave girl!

Anyway, I was just looking at some images of him. His head appears to be oval, but on closer look, it appears you could use the sports ball pan and make sure to make his mouth go all the way to the sides, and add his pointy ears. i was also thinking maybe you could use the doll dress pan for his body.

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:25am
post #5 of 6

I've worked on a few preliminary sketches and I think I have worked out what I want. Head will be RKT with fondant accents (i.e. ears, nose, eyes and top of his cape etc), possibly on tiers or with a sheet cake cut in half and iced together and carved for the shoulders. Not 100% on which way yet. But he will say something like "You're two, 2, Ah, ah, ah" somewhere on the cake or board. I can see it both ways in my mind, now to transfer it into cake lol. Wish me luck and thanks for the help and advise.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 6

Cool don't forget to post pictures icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%