Why Is It Such A Big Deal To Used Canned Frosting?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 12:24am by LoveMeSomeCake615

hobbycakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbycakes52 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:37pm
post #31 of 55

I used to be one who loved the taste of the canned stuff...until I starting making my own with real butter.  Now I can't stand the can.   Plus buying canned frosting costs more than homemade.  My daughter made some red velvet cupcakes a while back and used canned cream cheese frosting...I about gagged.  It was hard not saying  'it's almost as quick to make your own frosting with REAL cream cheese, REAL butter and powdered sugar than this rancid stuff!"  But I smiled and told her 'nice job' as I tried to hide my scraping off the icing.  It really does taste different once you've had the good stuff.  But I can see using it as a base for quick fillings...like the peanut butter and nutella recipes mentioned earlier.   

annie49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie49 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:55pm
post #32 of 55

I used to be able to find BC boxed "Fluffy White" frosting, which was quite acceptable, until a few years ago.  I thought it was no longer made.  I mixed the 2 canned frostings together with a mixer to improve the taste.  I think the "Cream Cheese" helped cut the sweetness of the other can.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 9:21pm
post #33 of 55

I never liked the "Fluffy White." For quite a while, it was the usual frosting for an angel food cake, around my house, and the FW was one of the reasons I could never get into AF cake. Eventually, we started serving AF cakes naked, and I liked them much better that way. Although it's been quite a few years since I've had it.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 9:57pm
post #34 of 55

When I first tasted canned frosting, I thought it was wonderful. That is because all I had to compare it to were fluffy white recipes that were popular many years ago. I remember the terms 7-minute icing, boiled icing, and royal icing being used, but don't remember which was which. One crusted so much that it pealed off like eggshells, and the other got more rubbery the longer it sat and sometimes had to be pulled apart rather than cut. At that time, "homemade" had a bad rep.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 11:33pm
post #35 of 55

I don't like the flavor of canned frosting, but I do like the consistency and gloss of chocolate canned frosting.  Forever looking for a great chocolate frosting recipe - have never found one that is perfect.

I use IMBC for all other flavors, but don't really like the chocolate version.

Liz

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 11:40pm
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbycakes52 

I used to be one who loved the taste of the canned stuff...until I starting making my own with real butter.  Now I can't stand the can.   

Same here. I remember loving the canned frosting as a kid, and even buying it to dip animal crackers in as a snack in college. But now that we have been making real buttercream from scratch for years, I recently had some canned icing and was like "Bleecchhh, WHY did I ever like this??"

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 1:54am
post #37 of 55

ABack when I lived in Europe, I used to make cakes for my expat friends and the canned frosting was my little secret! I used to buy it in a specialty grocery store, for about $6 a can, but since you couldn't get anything remotely like it locally everyone would rave!

metalmuffins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metalmuffins Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 2:40am
post #38 of 55

I don't think it's a huge deal. I mean, I haven't had canned frosting in ages so I cannot speak to it's ease or difficulty of use or consistency for cake decorating. As I recall it tastes pretty good. But BC is pretty easy to make and it tastes wonderful and you have a degree of control over the consistency and flavor. Do what you feel comfortable with and what works for you, but at some point you should just try making your own BC at least once to see the difference for yourself. icon_smile.gif

And thanks a lot Lovemesome, now I'm craving animal crackers and canned chocolate frosting. Seriously that sounds SO good. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:44am
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbycakes52 

I used to be one who loved the taste of the canned stuff...until I starting making my own with real butter.  Now I can't stand the can.   

Same here. I remember loving the canned frosting as a kid, and even buying it to dip animal crackers in as a snack in college. But now that we have been making real buttercream from scratch for years, I recently had some canned icing and was like "Bleecchhh, WHY did I ever like this??"

Count me in this group! I used to love the canned when I was little, but always had such a hard time getting it smooth...After I discovered "buttercream", I missed the taste of it but I was using an all shortening "buttercream" so it wasn't that good, but it smoothed so nicely! And now that I use actual butter in mine, and tasted the fake canned stuff, I almost threw up. I will still use it by special request though, if it is the rainbow chip. I put it in between my rainbow layers, for a young lady who has been getting birthday cakes from me for 5 years now. It gags me!

annie49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie49 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 12:56pm
post #40 of 55

I never heard of anyone frosting an angel food cake.  Around here, it's always been served simply as the cake, or with sliced berries in season, such as strawberries, over each slice.  Back to the frosting, it was usually used on a chocolate cake, mmm. 

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:34pm
post #41 of 55

When my mom made birthday cakes for my sister and me, she usually made angel food with what she called "fluffy frosting" or "7-minute frosting," a lightly crusting meringue based frosting.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:51pm
post #42 of 55

There was no canned frosting where I grew up (England), your options were glacé icing which was powdered sugar and water, or buttercream which was butter and powdered sugar with a little water, royal icing or pre-rolled fondant or marzipan. 

Actually I'm kind of craving a little cupcake with glacé icing on it. Pink I think.

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:09pm
post #43 of 55

I definitely prefer homemade BC, but my husband loves the store bought canned icing.  He asked me why I can't make "regular" icing like the canned stuff.  I don't get it, but he swears it's the best.  Is it even possible to make homemade buttercream/frosting/icing that is like the store bought stuff?  If it is I could make it for his birthday.  If not, I'll buy it.  Anyone know?

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:47pm
post #44 of 55

A

Original message sent by annie49

I never heard of anyone frosting an angel food cake.  Around here, it's always been served simply as the cake, or with sliced berries in season, such as strawberries, over each slice.  Back to the frosting, it was usually used on a chocolate cake, mmm. 

Original message sent by shanter

When my mom made birthday cakes for my sister and me, she usually made angel food with what she called "fluffy frosting" or "7-minute frosting," a lightly crusting meringue based frosting.

Growing up my mom and grandma always put the 7 minute frosting on angel food cake. My mom now eats hers plain, because that is what her boyfriend does :eyeroll: but my family and I put strawberries and whipped cream on ours. Yum!!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:12pm
post #45 of 55

I'm not entirely sure, but I get the general impression that "BC Fluffy White" (now marketed as "BC Homestyle Fluffy White") is a non-crusting "7-minute." (by contrast, C&H currently calls the cold process buttercream recipe that's been on the back of their powdered sugar box since before most of us were born, "5-minute frosting," although it takes somewhat longer if you're hand-mixing it).

I think on the "Fluffy White," it's the stickiness that I didn't particularly care for. That and the fact that I like my buttercream on the dense/stiff side, which is why I continue to hand-mix. As it is, using strawberry jam in my strawberry buttercream, or Vermont Grade B in my maple and maple-cinnamon BC, makes things sticky (and cohesive, and non-crusting, in the case of the strawberry) enough as it is.

shanter Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:42pm
post #46 of 55

Traditional 7-minute icing (the one my mom made and my recipe) should not be called buttercream anything (IMO) because there is no butter or shortening in it. It is sugar (regular, not powdered), salt, water, cream of tartar, egg whites, and vanilla plus some other flavoring if you want. My mom usually added peppermit extract (in addition to the vanilla) and tinted it pink.

When we had strawberries and whipped cream, we had them on shortcake (a sweet bicuit, usually the recipe on the Bisquick box), hence the term "strawberry shortcake." icon_biggrin.gif

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 8:11pm
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Traditional 7-minute icing (the one my mom made and my recipe) should not be called buttercream anything (IMO) because there is no butter or shortening in it. It is sugar (regular, not powdered), salt, water, cream of tartar, egg whites, and vanilla plus some other flavoring if you want.

That definitely fits with the texture, and the ingredient list, of Betty Crocker Fluffy White. Which is to say, it's the very antithesis of the dense, stiff, non-whipped, cold-process buttercreams that are my preferred frostings. And in my previous postings in this thread, BC="Betty Crocker," whereas buttercream is spelled out, to avoid confusion; if I have anything further to say in this thread, I'll spell out both, to completely eliminate confusion.

shanter Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 8:25pm
post #48 of 55

I got confused and thought people talking about BC frosting meant buttercream, not Betty Crocker. Sorry.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:38pm
post #49 of 55

Our fault, for not spelling it out when there's potential for ambiguity.

metalmuffins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metalmuffins Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:47pm
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

I got confused and thought people talking about BC frosting meant buttercream, not Betty Crocker. Sorry.

I thought BC was short for buttercream too. icon_eek.gif

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:14pm
post #51 of 55

It is, except when it's short for Betty Crocker.

Which is why, in this thread, we probably shouldn't use "BC" for anything.

shanter Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:28pm
post #52 of 55

I had no idea that Betty Crocker boxed "Fluffy White" frosting even existed. Canned frosting certainly didn't exist when I was growing up and learning to cook and bake. Yes, I am 200 years old. icon_biggrin.gif

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:21pm
post #53 of 55

My mom used to make that crusting 7 minute meringue frosting to put on chocolate cake. I hated it! I called it "scab icing" because the outside would "scab over"! Yuck!

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:26pm
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

My mom used to make that crusting 7 minute meringue frosting to put on chocolate cake. I hated it! I called it "scab icing" because the outside would "scab over"! Yuck!

hahahhahahaa! that is disgusting, lol.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:24am
post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmuffins 

And thanks a lot Lovemesome, now I'm craving animal crackers and canned chocolate frosting. Seriously that sounds SO good. 

Hehehe, you're welcome! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%