Vanilla Cake Recipe

Baking By mitzi229 Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm by LindaF144a

mitzi229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitzi229 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 15

Hello, I am trying to make a vanilla cake from scratch (since everyone always asks is it is from scratch) even though to decorate it takes me hours! I have made 3 different vanilla cakes from scratch and they all have that same flat taste. I find the cake mixes are so much better. What do I do? Please Help>>>Thanks

14 replies
Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 15

I don't know which recipes you have tried, but I love Sylvia Weinstocks original yellow cake recipe, http://archives.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/09/sylvia.weinstock/yellow.cake.html
It has a very similar taste and texture to box mixes, while still tasting from scratch.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 15

Just read her recipe and it sounds Devine. Thanks for posting it.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 15

Try this one out, it a great cake to start out with. When I first used started with scratch i used it - add extra vanilla-

and check out her other great videos!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 15

It's all about the vanilla!! I recently ran out of my regular Watkins brand vanilla, and had to use the store brand of vanilla. Same recipe, but I was embarrassed to even serve the tasteless cake.

mitzi229 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:58am
post #6 of 15

Thanks...I will try the recipe..and vanilla>

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:11am
post #7 of 15

I second Sylvia Weinstock. My other favorite is Warren Brown's yellow cake from his book, Cake Love.

mitzi229 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks I tried the Slylvia Weinstock recipe last night and it was delicious. It actually tastes really good...It reminds me of a mix...Thanks so much

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 15

I made Magnolia'a Vanilla Birthday cake using a recipe I found on here. It was alright, but nothing to brag about. I'll be sure to try Sylvia Weinstock's.

mitzi229 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 15

I know, I love Magnolia and go there no and then. Love them, I also have the Magnolia cookbooks and tried the vanilla cake 2 times and it is not really that tasty. Try the Sylvia one, its really good and I made people try it and they love it.

scp1127 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 15

CakeLove has a great yellow cake. He uses brandy (I use cognac because it is sweeter) as an extract. I'm not sure if he uses vanilla too, but I do. His site has a how-to video. Also, I use Rose's white chocolate cake with extra vanilla. My personal favorites are the two above. For selling purposes, I think SW is the best traditional.

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:44am
post #12 of 15

I bought my sister Cake Love for her birthday last year. I'll check out some of his recipes as well.

scp1127 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:10am
post #13 of 15

Cake Love is a fantastic book.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm
post #14 of 15

I have an awesome sugar cookie vanilla cake recipe that's my #1 seller. It has alot of good reviews but people are having a hard time with cooking it. It should be whipped a bit once the egg whites go in and it takes over an hour in the oven, even in a small pan. I cook mine forever it seems. It forms a sugar cookie crust on top that can be peeled off and eaten. It's awesome. I make it every week for orders. Look it up in the recipes.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 15

Cakelove and Sylvia's are both excellent suggestions.

But if you are used to a cake mix, it will take a while for your taste buds to adjust to the real butter flavor of a scratch white cake mix. What you will have to do is eat nothing but scratch for at least 3 months, then try the cake mix again. You will then notice that the scratch cake is not flat, just different. Cake boxes use flavor enhancers. To my palette, I cannot take the taste of a box mix any longer because it tastes artificial to me.

Also another good experiment is to try a cake using all three major brands, you will see a difference in taste that way also. I did that test one day for chocolate. We were amazed at the taste difference in brands. For years my MIL was a die hard BC cake mix person - yellow cake only. One day I tried to use a DH (before I went exclusively to scratch) and I couldn't believe the taste difference.

So bottom line, it is your taste palette that feels it is flat. Serve it to someone who exclusively eats scratch and they can tell you how it really tastes. And if it tastes flat, add more flavoring like a pinch of almond extract, or vanilla bean paste instead of extract, or put in an extra tsp of vanilla. But I am putting all my bets on your taste buds being use to mix instead of scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%