How Long Do You Really Have To Let The Cake Cool?

Decorating By cakification Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 4:18am by cakification

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 8

So.. I have no patience, and i have a cake cooling on the counter that I REALLY want to ice, at least a crumb coat. It's a 12x18 cake, and it's been cooling for about 1.5 hours already.... What's the earliest I can torte and crumb coat?

7 replies
amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakification

So.. I have no patience, and i have a cake cooling on the counter that I REALLY want to ice, at least a crumb coat. It's a 12x18 cake, and it's been cooling for about 1.5 hours already.... What's the earliest I can torte and crumb coat?

The cake can not be hot when you go to put icing on it. Every cake is different with the cooling times!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #3 of 8

Make sure it's cool alll the way through. Torting my be difficult on the same day it's baked. If you want to speed things up, you can put it in the fridge or freezer.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Make sure it's cool alll the way through. Torting my be difficult on the same day it's baked. If you want to speed things up, you can put it in the fridge or freezer.

Make sure you cover it if you take this route.
Also a good way to lock in the moisture is to freeze it overnight, after you wrap it.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

butter begins to melt at 85°F. That's not very warm. If you're using a butter based icing, the cake has to be completely cooled.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:32am
post #6 of 8

Fresh cake pulls a lot of crumbs, day old cake won't so much. Torting freshly baked cake is a nightmare as well. Also, even though a cake might feel cool to touch on the outside, it might still be warm inside, enough to melt icing, ask me how I know

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:51am
post #7 of 8

I would wrap it well in saran and/or press-n-seal for the freezer, and wrap in foil. Put it in the freezer and you're good to go icon_lol.gif . Good luck and I hope you can crumb coat and ice your cake very soon icon_biggrin.gif

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:18am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone... I decided to be smart and just wrap the cake and freeze it and wait until tomorrow... I hate waiting for cake to cool tho, which is so funny because I have no problem spending hours playing around with tiny fondant pieces.lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%