How The Heck To I Cover This Rkt Sculpture With Fonant??

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! Last night I made a T-rex out of RKT, about 7 inches tall, and I am having a heck of a time covering it in fondant without a million seams everywhere. I normally use modeling chocolate because it is easy to get rid of the seams, but I can't use them due to a nut allergy (the chocolate melts are processed in the same facility). I tried doing it in one large piece, but the fondant folds over in areas where there is excess, and it just looks horrible. I tried doing it in four separate sections and rubbing away the seams with crisco, and also vodka....but it still looks awful. Is there a trick to covering these oddly shaped figures smoothly? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 4

All I can recommend is to smooth the figure as much as possible - I like to do this with melted candy melts, but I understand that you can't. Someone suggested using a grater/planer tool to plane the set-up RKT figure - which sounds like a really good idea to me.

Then separately cover all the small features that you can isolate, putting long seams in inconspicuous places and use your fingers to "feather" the seams into the main body of the piece. You can cover ends of features with separate circles, etc. to make them look neat and tidy. Then try to cover the main portion of the body with as few pieces as possible, again putting long seams in inconspicuous places. Rather than trying to cut exact shapes to fit, take a larger piece of fondant, shape it around the piece, bring the edges together and then use a knife or scissors to cut off the extra to fit the piece. You can then smooth this down.

You may also want to add some tylose to your fondant before rolling it to firm it up and increase its elasticity - making it easier to handle without tearing.

A couple of times when I've had lots of trouble, I've put on a double layer of fondant. Just mist the underlayer before applying the second layer so that you get adhesion. Good luck with your figure!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 4

if the dino hasn't already been assembled (or could easily be taken apart), maybe you could cover each piece individually and then put back together? ie, cover arms, legs, body then use toothpicks to attach the components. its better to have seams at the joints than all over the piece icon_biggrin.gif

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Assembling after the fact is a great idea, and I wish I had thought of it, but I already made the entire dinosaur in once piece. Maybe I should just take it apart and remake it in different pieces. I'll try the large pieces of fondant and try to make all of the seams on the underbody first. If I still can't make it work right, I may have to resort to making it over again in pieces. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%