A Few Questions From A Newbie

Decorating By awildrose1983 Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 2:36am by CWR41

awildrose1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awildrose1983 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #1 of 2

So my first question is: How do you choose the sizes for your tiered cakes? I thought you go by 2's like a 10", 8" 6" but i am seeing lots that have 4" differences. Can someone please explain how I figure out which sizes I want to do when doing this?

Second question: Does anyone know where you can get a servings guide for cakes? I found one on wilton but it seems it's only wedding. I need to know how many will each size and shape feed and for a normal person serving not these paper thin servings.

Third question: I have 2" deep pans and I usually make 2 layers. Do you torte in between the 2 layers of should it be more? I saw some that have 3 skinny layers of cake then 2 of filling.

I know I am new to this but I am picking it up quickly and I am very excited about how fun this is. I am trying to do this for me but people are already hounding me to make their cakes. I can't say I hate it. It is so peaceful when I'm decorating. I turn on my music and my headphones and just go to town. I am still in the classes so I am not sure on allot of things yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 reply
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:36am
post #2 of 2

The answer to your first question really comes after first finding out how many servings are required, and then using an accurate serving guide. Additionally, back in the day when most wedding cakes weren't stacked but rather mostly separated with pillars, the plates weren't available in odd sizes, so a 14"x10"x6" tiered cake used 12" and 8" plates making it necessary to have 4" differences in cake sizes if separated. With odd size plates, it's easier to separate 2" differences now. It's all about your preference, these days... 1", 2", 3", 4"... almost anything goes depending on the look you're going for with the serving goal in mind!

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

There is a party cake serving guide, but to be honest, if you're using any guide other than the Wilton industry standard guide of 8 cu. in. servings, you are giving away extra cake for free. You can read so many opinions on this if you search the forums. (BTW, standard 1"x2"x4" or 2"x2"x2" servings ARE normal servings that aren't paper thin at all.) HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%