Decorating Cakes With Frosting

Decorating By savybee123 Updated 13 May 2011 , 3:18pm by TexasSugar

savybee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savybee123 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:15am
post #1 of 7

I find the wilton rose and some flower hard to make. Any tips? I have only been dong cake decorating for 1yr. I think fondant and gumpaste flowers are very easy. Im also in 6th grade. i don't have a lot of experience.

6 replies
Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:00am
post #2 of 7

With buttercream roses, in my opinion, it's all about the consistancy of the icing. There are some great videos on you tube that show all kinds of different ways to make them. When I first started out a few years ago, youtube is how I learned how to make a rose, lol.

I kind of cheat with transferring my roses. I make them on a rose nail that is lined with a piece of parchment...Take the parchment piece of put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes...Then take the rose off the parchment and put it on my cake.

Practice, practice, practice. Good luck icon_surprised.gif)

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 7

Savybee123 for someone in 6th grade you have lots of time to practice! Don't give up! It does get better as you practice so look up different tutorials on you tube. You can do it! icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:37am
post #4 of 7

It's important to start with a stiff consistency for your buttercream so that the petals don't droop.

If you can learn to make roses on a stick instead of the flathead nail, it's faster because you eliminate the first step of piping a blob on the nail. It's also easier to make the last row of petals because there isn't a nail in the way to prevent you from getting in there with the tip.

You can make your buttercream roses in advance and let them air dry for several days. Once dried, you'll be able to pick them up and place them where you'd like (rather than needing to keep them where they may fall!)

Have fun practicing, and let us know if you have specific problems that you're having difficulty with.

savybee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savybee123 Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 7

thanks so much every one!!! sorry i got back so late!!

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 7

Savybee, how nice to read that a 6th grader is pursuing cake decorating. I developed my lifelong interest during high school and I hope that you too will continue to learn and grow in this wonderful business.

I have made roses and other flowers using a good stiff buttercream for decades. Although I am getting into sugar flowers now because I love the realism, there will always be folks who want one of the flowers to eat and nothing beats buttercream!

All the best to you!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2011 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 7

Being that you are in the 6th grade, you may not have the hand strength it takes to really squeeze the thicker icings. Give it some time, and keep working on them, and I bet you will get them.

You could also ask for some Wilton classes for Christmas or your Birthday. I love having younger students in my classes. You are just one big sponge. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%