First Attempt At Modeling Chocolate - What A Mess!

Baking By schustc Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 3:20am by schustc

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:11am
post #1 of 15

so i found a recipe on-line - 10oz chocolate, 1/3 cup of corn syrup.

I melted the chocolate in the double broiler, added some powder food coloring, then the syrup. Seemed ok, but the next step was to spread on wax paper an let sit until firm, then knead and model..

well- I let it sit, but when I tried to take it off the wax paper - the paper was firmly stuck to the chocolate. So I had to put in the microwave to soften to scrape it off the paper. I tried to knead it a bit and it was too soft at that point, and it was looking REALLY greasy. I put in a tupperware container and popped in the fride to let set.

I took it out and it was hard - but as I started to knead it, i saw clumps of fat throughout the batch, I tried to knead it to soften and work back in, but ended up with my hands coated in cocoa butter - DRIPPING with it ????? That was NOT in any of the videos that I saw??? what the ??? I didn't want to put back in the fridge as now the fat was all over and I knew if it hardened it would be a mess. My next thought was to mix in some powdered sugar to soak up the grease. That SEEMS to have helped a bit, but I had to use so much it tastes like powdered sugar, not chocolate icon_sad.gif good thing this was my test batch - but heavens - what a mess!

how does butterfat separate from the chocolate? did I do something wrong?icon_sad.gif

Edited to add that this was Nestle Premium white chocolate. Most of it was a brick I bought at a cake supply store, but did add some white chocolate chips to bring it to the 10 oz..

14 replies
schustc Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:20am
post #2 of 15

man, I wish I'd have checked here before I added that sugar icon_sad.gif I just wasted a batch it sounds like. From what I saw on another post, that is normal (the greasy result) and that sitting in plastic wrap overnight solves the problem. My impatience killed it. Darn!!!

Oh well, it's a first time batch anyhow. for those of you that color it, do you add the color to the melted chocolate then add in the corn syrup? that was what I did, and it seems to have worked ok but at this point I dont know..

Kakzter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakzter Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 15

I just did the exact same thing.. First batch apparently didnt have enough corn syrup. got rock hard, so I remelted it and added some more syrup and it was also DRIPPING.. I squeezed out the drippings, wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge as directed, and started another batch..
Second batch i added a bit more corn syrup and it not only was dripping seemed to produce MORE corn syrup than i put in. I again squeezed it and wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge.. I just checked it and it seems like soft candle wax.. looks workable..
Im working on a 3-d bunny, just for fun. Thought Id try modeling chocolate instead of fondant..

Just to add, it was white chocolate. I figured if I was gonna mess up a first attempt, it would be with cheaper white chocolate. lol

and as far as waiting for anything? Patience is not a virtue I posses in great quantities..

schustc Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:38am
post #4 of 15

thanks for replying - it was a bit depressing. The chocolate seemed better today, however, when i Tried to shape anything, as it got warm, it got very sticky and gummy - I know from the powdered sugar. It's not really good for anything but as candy treats for my daughter or the neighbor kids. I'll try again - how did your batch turn out. I don't know. but the one that i had pulled out of the fridge had little nuggets of hard fat, I just can't imagine that getting any better.

How did yours turn out?

Kakzter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakzter Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:55am
post #5 of 15

mine actually worked! It was like slightly oily candle wax, but absolutely workable, I was able to make a rabbit, and a chick with no problems.. Both batches worked too..
Ill post picture of the final product tomorrow..

pemaanso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pemaanso Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:50am
post #6 of 15

I feel your frustration! I haunt tried this in a very long time, because I had similar toubles and found it was very hit and miss, from one batch to the next, however, it did seem to work much better and more consistantly, after someone advised me to try a little cornflour, so I recommend you give that a try. Good luck.

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 15

What you are making is an emulsion - chocolate is fat based and by adding corn syrup, which is water based, you make (hopefully) an emulsion. To be successful you need the correct ratio of fat to water (this is why it is important to use chocolate with the proper cocoa butter content) in the recipe. After that, the time and temperature of mixing is important - won't make an emulsion and overmixing will break it, which causes the fat and water to separate. This is why people talk about the fat pouring out of the mix.

If you have the right ratio you can keep trying to mix the two together as many times as you want by either rewarming or cooling the mix until it is around body temperature (should feel slightly cool or like nothing when you touch it). Work it on a cool surface so the heat of your hand is balanced by the temperature of the work surface. If you don't have cool counters you can put a pan in the fridge for a few minutes, then take it out and use that.

the soft fat should work back into the rest of the mix. The French work for mod is PLASTIQUE - because you have to mix it when it is in this plastic like state for it to come together properly.

You can also purchase on line at chocolate craft kits.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 15

When I make modelling chocolate I use wilton candy melts and add the 1/3 cup of corn syrup or whatever the ratio....It is very greasy..I use papertowels to absorb it.You have to do this a few times and let it sit for hours..sometimes overnight.Eventually the grease will disapate and it becomes workable.

schustc Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegalter

What you are making is an emulsion - chocolate is fat based and by adding corn syrup, which is water based, you make (hopefully) an emulsion. To be successful you need the correct ratio of fat to water (this is why it is important to use chocolate with the proper cocoa butter content) in the recipe. After that, the time and temperature of mixing is important - won't make an emulsion and overmixing will break it, which causes the fat and water to separate. This is why people talk about the fat pouring out of the mix.

If you have the right ratio you can keep trying to mix the two together as many times as you want by either rewarming or cooling the mix until it is around body temperature (should feel slightly cool or like nothing when you touch it). Work it on a cool surface so the heat of your hand is balanced by the temperature of the work surface. If you don't have cool counters you can put a pan in the fridge for a few minutes, then take it out and use that.

the soft fat should work back into the rest of the mix. The French work for mod is PLASTIQUE - because you have to mix it when it is in this plastic like state for it to come together properly.

You can also purchase on line at chocolate craft kits.

my problem is that there are so many recipes with different ratios - how do you know what is right? the recipe I tried last night was 1/2 cup of corn syrup (not 1/3) to 10 oz of chocolate. I also noticed the white chocolate is MUCH softer than the dark (more fat?).

I was planning on re-melting the different batches ( i made 3 of different colors) adding in 5 oz more chocolate to each (to match the 1/3 cup corn syrup to 10 oz ratio) and melt it down and drain off the oil.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you say about regarding whether I should or shouldn't do that - but more importantly, if I shape it on cold surface, when it comes to room temperature, it will just soften again won't it? If I make a figure that has pieces that are standing up (not that I am making a bunny, but its a good example - the ears for example) wont they just wilt at room temp if molded when cold?

The batch now is moldable, but way too soft I think to keep a real shape. please let me know if remelting it, correcting the ratio of corn syrup to chocolate, then draining off the fat, is a good approach. or should i just let it sit for a few more days. I am so confused icon_sad.gif

pegalter Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 15

Hi There

If you like, you can give a call at my website (chocolate craft kits) phone - 503 505 0481 and I can talk you through it!

Peggy

schustc Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:22am
post #11 of 15

Wow - thanks!! Is there a good time to call? i'm eastern time, and it's late now (sorry for the late reply - we had company tonight).

I work during the week - tomorrow is sunday, which is good for me, but I don't want to bother you on a Sunday.

Let me know - and THANK YOU!

Tina

pegalter Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #12 of 15

You can try me before 9 or after 4, my time tomorrow -

That would be 11 - noon est or 7 - 9 est

If you call and its not convenient I ll let you know -

Peggy

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:23am
post #13 of 15

I was going to attempt making a batch tomorrow...but it sounds like I won't get to play with it until Monday. icon_rolleyes.gif

schustc Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 5:01pm
post #14 of 15

THANK YOU!! I was going to try at 11 but my daughter is sick and I didn't get a chance. Will try this evening. Thanks again!

schustc Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:20am
post #15 of 15

peggy - just wanted to say THANK you so much again!! you are awesome! icon_smile.gif

Tina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%