Selling Cupcakes From Vending Trucks.

Decorating By bakencake Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 4:33am by sugarMomma

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 12

just had an idea is it possible? make cupcakes in licensed kitchen, thinking about renting one, and selling then in a vending truck. what do you guys think?

11 replies
bakencake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 12

ps. we are in TX

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 12

This is exactly what my husband wants me to do LOL!! Go park it around lunch time down the industrial road (where most people work around here) He would be so jealous to know someone else has the same idea! Maybe a future franchise!

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 12

I live in chicago and there is a a truck that started doing that last year. They bake out of a rented kitchen overnight. When they started it was just for the 9-5 crowd in the Loop. She is so busy that she now goes out to the suburbs and stays out later into the night too. They use Facebook and twitter to tell everyone where they are. I don't even love the cupcakes on her truck but the idea of seeing the truck is awesome! We also have a law that trucks can only have prepackaged food so the cupcakes are all individually packaged and stacked in bins on shelves in the trucks... can you tell I'm jealous about the idea??? I checked out the entire operation.

Go for it! Good luck!

bakencake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 12

lets do it!!!! have been looking at vending trucks and they are a but pricey icon_sad.gif maybe we can rig my tercel and call it a mini vini truck lol

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 12

yayyyyy texas! lol icon_biggrin.gif i know so-co in austin is super popular for food trucks, i'd think it depends a great deal on whether you're in a large city where this trend is established as opposed to a small town where you'd be the first truck (not to say you wouldn't cause a talk! lol). i think its an awesome idea personally, if the demographics work i'd say go for it icon_biggrin.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 12

Not sure what part of texas but I believe their is a cupcake trailer in Austin and also one in Dallas. The one in Dallas is called trailer cakers I believe. I think it's a super cute idea.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 12

Check for required permits. I've heard that permits are required for each location the truck is parked at.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #9 of 12

I have thought about truck idea too... but only thoughts...never went any further than that. I love the idea!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #10 of 12

Don't know about TX, but there are several food trucks that are dedicated to selling cupcakes out of them - they bake in a commercial kitchen then sell out of the truck.

Personally, I make my debut selling my cupcakes out of my friend's empanada food truck next Friday. I have my own window and everything. I am really looking forward to it icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:18am
post #11 of 12

I have heard the same thing as CRW41. Be very specific about what you want to do and get in writing exactly where you want to be. These trucks have had some trouble parking where they want to be. There are restrictions.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:33am
post #12 of 12

It is being done in Virginia Beach if you want to check out how they do it:

http://www.twistedsisterscupcakes.com/

they also update locations through facebook, not sure how well they are doing yet but the local paper featured them on their first week..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%