Lovin Sullivan Cakes

Decorating By ShirleyW Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 7:29am by Heath

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 53

Did anyone see the show on Food Network yesterday with the biography of Kate Sullivan of Lovin Sullivan Cakes in New York? I have seen her on Food Network Challenges and on Sugar Rush, but I was surprised to learn that she is an at home baker, works out of her apartment. I think what surprised me even more is that she has a local bakery bake her cakes and she does the icing and decorating at home. What I enjoyed most is each time the narrator spoke it was from the cake show Cakewalk at Grand Central Station and you got to see the gorgeous cakes on display from the show. Here is a link to her website as well as a link to egullet with lots of photos of the amazing cakes entered in Cakewalk at Grand Central Station. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the pages because there are many wonderful photos of the cakes, then click onto the next page where there are photos of the exhibitors with their work.

http://www.lovinsullivancakes.com/cakes/index.html

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=1c074e5fd992a72f1efdb4fb8f08be43&showtopic=67725&st=30

52 replies
bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 53

Wow! Kate Sullivan's cakes are just beautiful!! How does she dream up those beautiful designs! Wow! She is such a smart lady for having a bakery bake the cakes for her! That is such a great idea. I can't believe I missed that show yesterday! Ugggg! I hope they air it again soon.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 53

Sorry I have to say that I am not a fan of hers at all. She say that her cakes are not showpiece extravaganzas---To me that is what the cake is supposed to be--A SHOWPIECE! Also I can say for myself and many others that we all juggle kids and daily lives.
I am not sure why she can decorate at home?? She also charges $9.00 a slice. I do think some of her cakes are cute. I had a headache watching her on the challenge. She made some very common mistakes. It has been said before that there are people on CC that make much better cakes!
The pink cake that she had in the magazine had some flaws in the fondant and if I could, I would have reached through the TV and knocked down the points on her beaded border!
Sorry if I sound harsh!

ShirleyW Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 53

I did feel she was out of her league on the two challenges in which she competed. I felt sorry for her and embarrassed for her as well. She mentioned as much on this show. Her cakes are not my particular favorite styles but I did think the pink fondant was gorgeous dispite the flaws. Somone must like her, she has published a book of cake designs. I did enjoy watching this show and felt it would encourage other home decorators if they are able to be licensed in their state. I think she is able to get $9.00 per slice because that is what they go for in her area, also she is well know for her magazine composites outside of cake decorating and I imagine she has contact with all the right people.

dutchdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchdecorator Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 53

I'v got her book and ordered it together with Colette Peters book and I have to say that Kates cakes dissapointed me! Even in the book the cakes have little cracks in the fondant and it show roses with small pieces broken off.
Maybe thats due to the fotografer or studioconditions but the book and cakes of Colette Peters are perfect.
I do find that Kates cakes are an example for us because they don't look so difficult as Colette Peters cakes look so amazing that you don't dare try to make one like it yourself.(at least I don't)
saskia

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 53

I have a problem with Kate Sullivan, too. As well as the Food Network Show that featured her, "Recipe for Success". I actually wrote to the FoodNetwork about the episode, but never heard back from them thumbsdown.gif . They made her sound like she was a struggling stay at home mom, like many of us. I was excited to watch it, hoping I would gain some insight on starting my own biz. Not true. A friend of hers, who works for a Bridal mag, got her in the mag. A publisher friend of hers got her book deal. Boo Hoo, poor Kate, she even was on the short-lived Jane Pauley show, they're friends, too!!! Sounds to me like Kate has a lot of good connections, which is great for her, but the rest of us live in the real world. And I'm pretty sure she has one kid. I have 3, and I'll guarentee you my husband doesn't make anywhere close to the salary her husband makes. I know none of these things are her fault, she's lucky, but it still burns me up icon_mad.gif

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 53

The cakes looked gorgeous finished but what I have to ask is "Why is she carrying a child around on her back." Don't people know what playpens are fore anymore. When I had my chilcren (40 years ago) I didn't decorate cakes but if I was busy doing something and didn't what the child to get into anything they weren't supposed to, into the playpen they went and you didn't have to worry about them getting out.

Even though her cakes look good I don't believe she has the real talent that the bakers on CC do, so many are so far above her class and they manage with a house full of children and complete all of the work involved themselves!! and manage very well.

moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 53

I only saw her in one challenge and that was the one with the christmas tree.
Yes it is the people you know. She worked in magazines and said that she was fortunate to have connections.
I know a few people in New York who do cakes. As far as I know even though she has her cakes baked elsewhere--this is not considered legal.

I could be wrong but she uses her own kitchen that is part of her own living space.

ShirleyW Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 53

You guys are a tough crowd! icon_lol.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 53

I too have her book, what a waste of money! Blah..

and if it's illeagal to prepare foods out of NYC kitchen then why haven't they come down on her?

I think we should all write to Grace (Advent) here on cc and let her know she has NOTHING to be afraid of!!!

and HER cakes are truly a work of art! Yeay!!!

moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 53

I asm not sure why they have not busted her. She contracts the baking so to save time ans does the decorating at her "loft".
She is obvoously in the city so who knows?? I don't think the Health inspector would agree having her child on her back while she decorated??
Any NYC decorators want to chime in??

moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 53

But I guess she never claimed to be licensed either???

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 8:23pm
post #13 of 53

I saw the show too, and agreed with what others said. When I saw the introduction, I thought...OK, this will be helpful for me because she is just like me trying to build a home business. WELL, I was totally wrong. The only reason she was in the mag is because she used to work with so many of those people. The only reason she published the book was because her friend wanted her too. She definitely had her foot in the door. So, how could she have gone wrong.

But, I do like her cakes and think they are different. In the challenge, she said she was creating something that wasn't her style and that is why she failed. Apparently she does not work well under pressure. She did mention that she spends hours on her cakes and how slow the process was. And about the imperfections in the fondant, well I just can't believe she accepted that knowing the cakes were in a magazine or book. I would want every little detail perfect!

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 53

i agree. i'm not a fan. her style is VERY graphic design oriented. its not my style so i wouldn't even bother buying her book. for those who have, didn't you flip through the pics first? icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I was thinking the same thing.... icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:49pm
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I agree with Shirley.
We all have to start somewhere and she has the meens to get herself out there. Yes, alot of great decorators here, but she went for the gusto and got herself out there, so cuuuudles to her.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 53

Her cakes aren't spectacular but she tries. It's not her fault The Food Network decided to spotlight her cakes. There will always be decorators who work harder, have more challenges to overcome, and better (or worse) sense of composition and color. Regardless of ability, she was chosen for the show for a reason. She shouldn't be judged because she is not as great as the elite cake designers of our time. She's just a woman trying to run her own business and from the looks of it, doing a fine job.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:04pm
post #18 of 53

Has Kate Sullivan become the next Sandra Lee who is going to get slammed by this website? I've seen her book and thought her style was very interesting. I also saw her on the Christmas challenge. While her cake wasn't the best, she was there trying..that took alot of courage!

Could we just live and let live? We all enjoy doing our cake thing so much and she obviously is "one of us". I thought she had a really fun personality!
As far as how she got where she is, that's life..its all (or mostly) about who you know..

Cindy

moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindww

As far as how she got where she is, that's life..its all (or mostly) about who you know..
Cindy

Yes and no. Talent is the key to being a success. This topic was put out there. Everyone is allowed to like or dislike. For example whether or not she is licensed, or is it Ok to carry your child while decorating.

We as decorators face the same challenges. I know that when I did competion this last year I had people come up to me a tell me what I should and should not have done.

I don't feel like the comments were harsh just honest. Can we all honestly say that we do not judge one anothers cakes??

As she chose to be on the program-she was not forced to to anything. Just like Duff he chose to be in the spotlight and now there are people who like and dislike!

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:41pm
post #20 of 53

Hey Shirley,
I have to agree with you - this is a tough bunch. I only wish I could decorate half as good. All of you who are doing this with little ones are to be commended - don't know how you do it. As much as this is a passion and I absolutely love it, can't imagine having the patience with small children to care for at the same time. Whew is all I can say. Still admire all of you. icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:44pm
post #21 of 53

PaulaT

I have one and my daughter loves decorating!

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:02pm
post #22 of 53

I definitely wasn't putting down her talent. She definitely has a different style then most, which may set her apart. My beef was with Food Network and the promotion of the show. When it originally aired the advertising was very misleading. But how did she get picked for the Challenge, she seemed out of her league. She is a better decorator than I am, yet anyway. But no matter how hard I work, or how good I become, I will probably never have anything published, or be featured on a tv show. It is all about who you know. Like I said before, good for her. She was lucky. But the show made her seem like she was struggling. They should have called one of us. We could tell them about struggle. I actually suggested that in the letter I sent to them. Oh well.

moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:23pm
post #23 of 53

I do not know anyone that would boost my career.I have seen one of cakes on Food Network on two shows.
I just had my second cake in print in Mail Box News.

And yes I think the beef was about how she "struggles". Balancing life with cakes as we all do!

micfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micfish Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:29pm
post #24 of 53

Oh come on, everyone knows that most successful people had some kind of luck (or connections) on their side on their road to 'stardome'. I actually really enjoy her and although I'm not a huge fan of fondant and painting cakes, I LOVE her book. She has a modern style that is fresh and appealing(to some). I was however, surprized to see that some of her cakes in her book were with flaws(fondant cracked,etc). However, I found her and find her overall inspiring...with her child on her back (money or no money, juggling a home business and kids is tough) and decorating in her kitchen...trying her hand at a cake challenge and being honest about her mistakes and errors. Her book also taught me how to do portrait cakes. Oh, and her hello kitty cake is so cute and taught me how to make 3-d characters. .... my opinion....

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:29pm
post #25 of 53

I have to chime in. I have seen Kate's biography show a couple of times.
I think she's very cutting edge in her ideas and designs. I always find inpiration from her. But on the other hand she has'nt had the training to really work on the beginnings and mastering techniques. I cringed when I saw the cakes in her book. All the tears in the fondant (I looked at the book first and decided not to buy it). I'm a perfectionist and I truely would not be able in my heart to publish those pictures the way they were. My husband who is a cake dummy looked at the cakes and started pointing to the cake errors. In time I think she will be great but there are so many other decorators that could of been showcased. For me, wedding cakes are my true passion. I would love to someday be featured for my talent. I guess in reality for myself I am jealous that someone got handed what I have been fighting for, for along time. She just was in the right place and right time and we all should be happy that she is bringing all cake decorators to the spotlight. Five years ago no one even cared about cakes. Now we have celebrity decorators competing on the Food Network which only helps our trade. This is only my opinion (take it with a grain of salt).
Andrea

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:53pm
post #26 of 53

Wow! I'm really surprised at people's reactions about her. I'm a fan and proud of it. Her cakes are so whimsical and refreshing, fun and creative.

I think there are a lot of bitter comments regarding her "worthiness" to be featured on a show or in a biography. Shouldn't we all be supporting the world's interest in what we ALL do here? Doesn't exposure of any artist/baker out there give creedence to what WE do, be it a hobby or a budding career?

I'm pretty surprised at some things expressed by some CC members here, like picking on Sullivan for only having ONE child and balancing a career...while other people have more children and haven't had the "break" she got. That's a bit catty!

I've had the opportunity to be featured in a few magazines and am just now working on an online video for release this Spring. I would be so surprised to think that people found me "unworthy" of sharing what I know because I didn't go to Pastry School and haven't got children to add to my work load! That's laughable.

You know what gets you success? Opportunity, practice, learning, trial-and-error and working your a** off. Luck? Sure, maybe sometimes...but it only takes you so far.

I applaud Kate for her work...just as much as I would any stay-at-home mother with 4 kids scrambling at her feet while she tries to ice a few cupcakes.

**edited to correct a name....whoops!

moydear77 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:00am
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Quote:

applaud Laura for her work...just as much as I would any stay-at-home mother with 4 kids scrambling at her feet while she tries to ice a few cupcakes.

Who is Laura??

micfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micfish Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:03am
post #28 of 53

Hmmm....yes, it is Kate Sullivan, not Laura but I agree with you Antonia74!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:03am
post #29 of 53

AMEN ANTONIA 74, Couldn't of said better myself!

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:17am
post #30 of 53

i was just at the book store today and thumbed through her book, before i saw this post. What a coincidence. i didn't buy it (i didn't buy anything, i couldn't make up my mind). Has anyone noticed that the negative posts tend to get the most replys? lighten up!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%