What To Do In Case Of Total Cake Disaster???

Decorating By jenniemar Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm by jenniemar

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 10

I just started making cakes and boy am I covered up in orders! I hadn't given much thought to "what if" scenarios until asked the other day"what would you do if you dropped the cake?"

As in: No salvageable parts left. Total annihilation?

I didn't quite know how to answer that.

What would you do?

Especially for a WEDDING CAKE???!!! icon_eek.gif

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 10

If you don't have enough product onhand to replace it, it's customary to deliver a dummy (just to have a "wedding cake" for the wedding photos), and also deliver enough sheet cakes/kitchen cakes to serve the guest (even if you have to purchase them from another bakery), and a refund is in order as well (minimum of half, if agreed upon, or full price if necessary).

jenniemar Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 10

so I need to find a dummy cake nearby? Scout out possible dummy cakes in the area to rent/hijack?

CWR41 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniemar

so I need to find a dummy cake nearby? Scout out possible dummy cakes in the area to rent/hijack?

In a pinch, it might be nearly impossible to find a dummy to rent. Most bakery businesses are prepared for this and have dummies to borrow from their own displays.

jenniemar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:48am
post #5 of 10

yeah- I was kinda kidding with the "hijack a cake dummy" comment....I get smart mouthed like that at the end of the day. Sorry.

So- I am just starting out but I am the type of person that does not like to take chances (and I am an art teacher so THAT's weird), and I do NOT want to EVER find myself in that situation.

I am going to make a cake dummy. Just one big thing- what do I make the frosting out of? Royal icing? If so, how long will it last and do I just store it under plastic so it doesn't get dusty????? icon_confused.gif

CWR41 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniemar

Royal icing? If so, how long will it last and do I just store it under plastic so it doesn't get dusty????? icon_confused.gif

Royal icing would work, and it lasts forever.

Spackle from the hardware store works well too. (easy to work with, dries fast, very lightweight, and durable.)

Yep, store under plastic or in a box.

jenniemar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 10

Spackle---- lol. All right! Thank you so much! I'ma doin' it! I will take the thing with me to all weddings just in case. I can see it now- the one time I don't take the dummy is when I fall face first into the cake! icon_surprised.gif

CWR41 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 10

Ha! I don't know anyone that travels with a spare backup or dummy for "just in case"... they'd make a quick run back home or to the shop in an emergency (or have someone else bring the dummy). Most of the time, the extra space is needed for other deliveries and/or repair supplies. If you're most comfortable hauling a dummy around--go for it! (just be certain that the dummy can't topple over onto the real wedding cake and be the cause of its demise!) thumbs_up.gif

jenniemar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 10

the problem is- most my cake orders are an hour away since I teach an hour away and that is my customer base!!!! So no running abck to the shop in that scenario. But- I am starting to get orders locally.

jenniemar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 10

the problem is- most my cake orders are an hour away since I teach an hour away and that is my customer base!!!! So no running back to the shop in that scenario.
But- I am starting to get orders locally.

And- after reading so much about problems over getting enough $ for cakes, I am really lucky that no one has balked so far and I am running with the pack cost-wise. If they do protest- well, they can go to Wally World to get one! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%