Need Advice On How To Make This...

Sugar Work By KJF1985 Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm by KJF1985

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 3

My husbands birthday cake is based off his favorite computer game... Starcraft. In the game you mine for "minerals" and I'd like these to be as "realistic" as possible but not made out of fondant. I've attached a picture. My initial "brilliant" idea was to make rock candy. However, it's been a week and the sugar crystals are still so tiny that it's just not going to be right. Now I'm thinking of using isomalt but am guessing i'll have to do it by hand. This is the first cake i've done using techniques not shown to me by somebody else and I definitely need practice. I'm worried they won't come out just right. Does anybody have any ideas of the best way to get this shape/look? I also only have two days to do it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 3

I feel like they sell a silicone mold kit at the craft stores. Could you make a mold using a real crystal shape and use a hard candy recipe? Just a thought.

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyCakes

I feel like they sell a silicone mold kit at the craft stores. Could you make a mold using a real crystal shape and use a hard candy recipe? Just a thought.

That's definitely something I would do if I could find the right stuff and had enough time. I wonder if hobby lobby or michaels sell it and where I could find a crystal that shape... four sides, etc.... hmm...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%