Cupcake Swirl? It's Not The Regular One- How? Help!

Baking By SugarMama5 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 10:42pm by calicopurr

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 18

What tip do I need to use to make this kind of swirl on a cupcake? Also what is the technique? It's driving me nutty trying to figure this one out! icon_eek.gif

http://greengopost.com/will-the-crumbs-bake-shop-ipo-crumble/

17 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:37am
post #2 of 18

To me it looks like the 1M swirl with a lot of pressure & just doing one circle/swirl that is starting from one point & ending it at the same point towards the center but I might be wrong... icon_confused.gif
HTH

SugarMama5 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 18

I'll give it a try. See if it works. I was thinking I would have to let it just build and then slowly pull up and rotate my hand a bit??? Thanks, I'll give it a try and see if it works! icon_smile.gif

SugarMama5 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:46am
post #4 of 18

OK, I tried it every which way with a 1M and also a few other tips that I have done swirls with before. I just can't figure it out. icon_eek.gif What gives? It can't be that hard, lol.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 2:23am
post #5 of 18

LOL im sorry that was just a guess.....mmm I guess not icon_sad.gif

Hopefully someone will have the answer, keep bumping it...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 2:29am
post #6 of 18

Are you sure the picture isn't mini cupcakes?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 3:54am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Are you sure the picture isn't mini cupcakes?

I think it is, expecially with the type of swirl and the amount of icing tha tis on there.
So the previous posters would be correct in aprobably a 1M tip and then holding in the center and twisting while squeezing.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 18

It looks like an Ateco 828 tip. I use this tip more than my 1M by Wilton.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 18

It looks similar the swirls I make with a 9c. It's huge. It reads "Bakery Crafts" on the tip. I bought several at a local cake shop that no longer exists.

But I'm also thinking they are mini's as most people I've talked to have never heard of the 9C. Ive tried to buy more since that store closed and can't find them anywhere.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 18

It looks like the Ateco 828 to me, too. I just used it recently on a full size cupcake, but if it was a mini and I just twisted a little, it would look very similar if not identical to your picture. Not sure where all you can order it, but I know Golda's Kitchen out of Canada sells the Ateco 828.

Paperfishies Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

It looks similar the swirls I make with a 9c. It's huge. It reads "Bakery Crafts" on the tip. I bought several at a local cake shop that no longer exists.

But I'm also thinking they are mini's as most people I've talked to have never heard of the 9C. Ive tried to buy more since that store closed and can't find them anywhere.

I LOVE bakery craft tips! There is a local cake supply store here that sells all of them. I especially love the huge round tips that pipe icing on like DC cupcakes style.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 18

I love the 9C - see if they have that one. I have surfed and surfed - cannot find them anywhere.

SugarMama5 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:47pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

I love the 9C - see if they have that one. I have surfed and surfed - cannot find them anywhere.

Yeah, I can't find that online either. I wonder if that store would ship them??

SugarMama5 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:50pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

It looks like the Ateco 828 to me, too. I just used it recently on a full size cupcake, but if it was a mini and I just twisted a little, it would look very similar if not identical to your picture. Not sure where all you can order it, but I know Golda's Kitchen out of Canada sells the Ateco 828.

I love Golda's kitchen! I'll have to order one next time I order something.

So it the Ateco 828 like that other 9c tip? Can anyone post a pic of what that 9c tip looks like? I can't find it online anywhere...

Paperfishies Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 18

I went to a local cake supply store yesterday and they had quite a few 9C tips...They were $1.89 each plus 6% sales tax...If anyone wants one, I can post them for sale on etsy...I won't over charge or anything...Just normal shipping and the cost of the tip.

Paperfishies Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 18

I went to a local cake supply store yesterday and they had quite a few 9C tips...They were $1.89 each plus 6% sales tax...If anyone wants one, I can post them for sale on etsy...I won't over charge or anything...Just normal shipping and the cost of the tip.

SugarMama5 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

I'd totally buy a few of them!! That would be great! I've never bought anything on ETSY before, how does it work? Do they/you take Paypal?

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:42pm
post #18 of 18

PM your Etsy url please.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%