Frozen Buttercream Transfers

Decorating By katboss Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 6:03pm by katboss

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all, Has anyone ever tried doing a FBCT on the sides of a cake???? I am making a "case of beer" cake using Domenics sugar bottles mold and wanted to put some in the "case". I don't have the extra money to go out and buy a printer for the edible images so i was thinking of doing the FBCT method for the sides as well as the top of the cake ( just a little thinner than usual) It is going to be a large cake, close to the actual size of a case of beer. Does anyone think this may work or will it just fall off the sides???
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 5

I did one back in Nov on the side of the cake. It worked out fine and stayed on with out a problem.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 5

I've never done an FBCT on the side of a cake. But if you want to use edible images, you could try your local grocery store and see if they'll print them for you.

JoAnnBR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnBR Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 2:35am
post #4 of 5

I do this all the time. I only use Italian buttercream. I print a mirror of the image I need to copy, tape it on a sheet pan and tape a square of plastic wrap over the image. Make sure the plastic wrap is taut. I then pipe the image (if it's multicolored, pipe the outlines first and work backwards). I leave mine at room temp, remove the plastic wrap from the sheet pan and carefully place the plastic on the side of the chilled cake. I go over the plastic wrap with a Q-tip to be certain it is making good contact with the cake. Then put he cake in the fridge to let the frosting harden. In a few minutes, peel the plastic wrap off and the image is on the sides of the cake. If it's a large image for the top of the cake, I have to get a helper to assist in placing it evenly on the cake.

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 5

thanks so much for the info! cake is not due til may, maybe i'll try a "practice" cake first icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%