Dried Fondant Piece Are...floppy

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 2:36am by sugardugar

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 4

For the past couple boxes of Wilton fondant I've noticed my fondant pieces aren't drying or hardening up. I'm talking about bow loops, numbers and things that are going to be standing up or anything that is suppose to hold it shape. I always add Tylose, cornstarch or gum paste mix to stiffen things up and help them to dry hard but stuff is still floppy. I have cut out pieces before and they would be rock hard is a matter of hours now things won't harden completely after 24 hours. I'm also running a dehumidifier but still having issues.

Is this happening to anybody else?

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

I'm wondering if it isn't the fondant its self, but the time of year. I always find the spring the hardest time to do cakes, because it isn't always warm enough for the AC but is to warm for the heater.

I painted my dining room a few weeks, back, had painted two bedroom right before that, no paint drying issues at all. The dining room, one coat took over 6 hours to dry. Stupid humidity in the air!

I would trying adding more tylose to the fondant to see if that helps right now.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 4

Fortunately I found a solution to this problem. In another thread about stand up letters, vkat suggested putting gumpaste pieces in the oven (not turned on) with the oven light on. I tried this with some fondant letters and it worked like a charm. Hope this helps someone else.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:36am
post #4 of 4

i was going to suggest the oven thing! i LOVE it. since i started doing it i don't even make decorations in advance - they harden so perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%