Doctor's 50Th Birthday - Ideas Needed

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 3:44pm by Elaine2581

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 6

In February I made a cake for my husband's physician's assistant's 40th birthday and everyone at his office loved it. It is posted at http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1953292. It took a lot of time to make all the instruments and I really don't want to do that for my next one. A doctor in the practice is turning 50 in May and my husband wants me to make a cake to take in for him. I love the lab coat and stethoscope cakes I've seen here and could do something like that but this doctor doesn't wear a white lab coat so it seems inappropriate to me. Also, my husband started this medical practice 30 years ago this summer and I want to make a cake for that occasion as well. For that one I'm thinking of either a timeline on a sheet cake or a carved tiered cake with milestone markings all the way up to the top. So, I would appreciated your ideas for this 50th male doctor's birthday. Also, because it is a medical practice and patients will probably see the cake, I prefer to celebrate LIFE rather than making it an over-the-hill/handicap/false teeth, etc type of cake. He is in great physical shape himself and I just want it to be nice and special. The coworkers have great expectations of me after the one I did for Jason. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
manman1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manman1977 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 6

Since it is his 50th birthday cake it would good to do a cake that would a perfect compliment to who he is. I know you said he doesn't wear a labcoat so what does he wear when he sees his patients. At the hospital I work at there is a doctor that doesn't wear a lab coat but he wears slacks with suspenders and he wears wacky ties. You don't have to do a lab coat but what about a shirt with something that would be unique to his style and still with a stethascope. For instance if I were making a cake like for this docs birthday. I would do a shirt with wacky tie and suspenders with a stethascope hanging down. I don't know if this would work for the doc you are making the cake for or not.

Good luck.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 6

Your cake is awesome.

The only other idea that comes to mind besides the lab coats is the doctor's bag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brookwhisler/4096536019/

manman1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manman1977 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 6

I love the doctor bag cake. There is also a doctor where I work that his "trademark" should we say, is to carry a doctors bag like the one in this picture. Oh definitely a great idea. Love, love, love the doctors bag.

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 6

maybe do something medical that he uses, but points to the accomplishment of turning 50. Like a prescription pad with his signature on it and a prescription for many more years of helping his patients?

I like Manman's idea - like a shirt and tie cake but add the stethoscope and a pen in his pocket or whatever fits his style.

Or does he have a hobby that you could focus on instead? fishing, football, coin collecting, etc. Might show a more personal side than just his profession.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to those who replied. I may try the shirt and tie, stethoscope, pen, name tag and prescription pad ideas. The other problem I have is TIME. My husband will want to take this in on Tuesday morning and I am making a graduation cake with lots of roses for 2 young ladies in our church youth group. I have already started working on the roses. We have a piano recital on Sunday afternoon and the cake for the grads is for a reception following the evening service at church. It's going to be a long day and then I will have to make the medical cake on Monday. So, I appreciate the help; now I just have to work out my timing. I don't usually cover cakes in fondant but I would think that would be best for the shirt cake. I'll keep mulling it over in my mind. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%