My New Sculpting Medium

Decorating By linstead Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm by Annabakescakes

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 6

I suppose most people know this but it never occurred to me until last week when I had to make a sculpted cake (high top Converse shoe) - tried first to make it out out chocolate cake but discovered that the heel portion was too high and narrow with cake for it to be stable. I was going to cut off the heel and replace with RKT when it dawned on me......use Brownies! Wow what a great idea - I went and bought some very nicely baked fresh brownies from the grocery store bakery and that worked like a charm! Super easy to sculpt and mode and nice and buttery so the fondant stuck well. Plus the structural stability was great with a couple of dowel sticks (I put the brownie shoe on top of a shoe box that was made out of cake). The bride (cake was groom's cake) wanted chocolate so this worked out fine but I think you could also use vanilla brownies too if someone didn't want chocolate. And I think the brownies were much tastier than RKT!

5 replies
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 6

Great idea. I can't stand RKT. Brownies would be yummy

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 6

Great idea! As a client, I'd be much happier about finding brownies under the frosting than RKT. Mmmmm...brownies. icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 6

Great Idea!!!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 6

Love it...thanks for sharing!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6

Wow, yum, I think I need to make some brownies now! They would work well for many applications, but not all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%