Help, I Can Not Think Of A Design That Is Not Childish

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 5:42am by mistiek2006

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:51am
post #1 of 6

Customer request is---"a surprise party for her dads 74th birthday and I thought that would be a great occasion for one of your cakes. Basically the purpose of the party is to recognize him for all the ways he so willingly helps other people outfriends, family, his churchwith things like fixing stuff around the house, taking care of the yard, etc.. So I was thinking a helping hands theme would be cool. Maybe lots of little brightly-colored 2-dimensional handslike cartoon hands--as a motif? (I dont like 3-dimensional sculptured hands, they look too much like they belong to a dead person in a coffin.) But I definitely want to hear what ideas you might have. The cake would probably need to serve at least 20 people." Because of the small size I can not think of a design?? Was thinking of "helping hands steps" going around cake stopping at home, yard and ending at church but I think it is too much for the size. Totally blank here, I love to do figures, and really want this one to be special. Any ideas???? Thank you for your suggestions.

5 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 6

What if you make the hands holding different types of tools that he would use? If they hand is holding something it won't look like dead hands. That would be more manly too.

Also, find out if he has a favorite shirt or cap he wears when going to do these projects. If it is a flannel shirt, you could incorporate that into your cake somehow, or maybe the color from the cap.

Does he have a tool box that he takes around with him? Incorporate that too.

Since you like to do figures, you could have a figure holding a tool standing by the church. But make it so the back of the figure is facing outsource it looks like he is working on the church or house. You could also make it a cross between 2d and 3 d, sort of flatten it out a bit.

dreamacres Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 6

Thanks secret agent!!! Your suggestions are awesome

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:41am
post #4 of 6

I think I might avoid the hands all together. Why not have symbols (cut-out silhouettes of a rake, tools, book or cross for church etc) on the cake of all the things he helps with. And write, "Thank you ____ -for all you do!" or something like that?

dreamacres Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:16am
post #5 of 6

Oh happy day. Send some ideas to customer and I think I have gotten the hands out of her head!! We are thinking of a old house with him sitting outside reading his bible. Can't wait to do this one. So much fun. Thanks guys for all the ideas. I love her but her has expressed that she does not like cakes that do not look like cakes, (grocery store addict) May be 2D to please her or............ carved to be fun we will see. I will do what I always do and price it too cheap just to be proud of the finished product. Do anyone else do this??

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:42am
post #6 of 6

Its late in the game but here's an idea for later. You could do a footsteps themed cake with names of all the people he has helped in the footprints with something written like "No one could fill your footprints because of all that you do." Or "All of our footprints lead to your helping hands. Thank you for all you do for us."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%